Will leaves on fruit trees grow back after being plucked?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for reading.

I'm wondering, in general, if Trees grow their leaves back if the leaf is removed by means of damage (not disease). So anything like wind, plucking, etc.

If I were to pluck the bottom hand of my citrus tree (I want more trunk to show, will the leaves just grow back?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for reading.

I'm wondering, in general, if Trees grow their leaves back if the leaf is removed by means of damage (not disease). So anything like wind, plucking, etc.

If I were to pluck the bottom hand of my citrus tree (I want more trunk to show, will the leaves just grow back?

Thanks!
Probably not in the exact same spot but the leaves will come back. If you don't want the leaves cut the branch off where they are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Probably not in the exact same spot but the leaves will come back. If you don't want the leaves cut the branch off where they are.

Thanks. Well, it's actually the bottom half of the main Trunk. For style purposes, I want the top to be very full and the bottom to be very bare. I'm basically wanting to prevent the bottom from having leaves. I guess I'll have to just pluck from time to time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. Well, it's actually the bottom half of the main Trunk. For style purposes, I want the top to be very full and the bottom to be very bare. I'm basically wanting to prevent the bottom from having leaves. I guess I'll have to just pluck from time to time.
That is what I am saying. Cut the bottom limbs off. Then limbs will sprout further up the trunk. If you can send a picture of the tree.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The best method is to but the lower branches or remove the lower leaves. This will stimulate a more vibrant growth of the upper leaves as more nutrients will be translocated there for photosynthesis to take place. You also have to keep plucking off the sprouts that grow in the nodes. However, you should also prune back the upper parts in case the foliage becomes too dense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best method is to but the lower branches or remove the lower leaves. This will stimulate a more vibrant growth of the upper leaves as more nutrients will be translocated there for photosynthesis to take place. You also have to keep plucking off the sprouts that grow in the nodes. However, you should also prune back the upper parts in case the foliage becomes too dense.

That's great information! Thanks! Did not know that.

That is what I am saying. Cut the bottom limbs off. Then limbs will sprout further up the trunk. If you can send a picture of the tree.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! Here is the tree (The lighting is bad, sorry) :)

I want to remove the leaves from about half way and down.

Attachments

• 20160905_155934_HDR.jpg
    20160905_155934_HDR.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 344
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's great information! Thanks! Did not know that.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! Here is the tree (The lighting is bad, sorry) :)

I want to remove the leaves from about half way and down.
That looks like a grafted tree. Cut the bottom two limbs off at the trunk.

Logan L. Johnson

Caldwell Home & Garden
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
NC Zone 7A
Country
United States
Trees are always growing, adding foliage to produce more food. By now, if a few leaves were plucked there would be no significant difference due to the fact that leaves will be falling off on their own within the next few weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Trees are always growing, adding foliage to produce more food. By now, if a few leaves were plucked there would be no significant difference due to the fact that leaves will be falling off on their own within the next few weeks.
You have a point there. Much of my citrus is already losing some leaves (most too much yet).

That looks like a grafted tree. Cut the bottom two limbs off at the trunk.

I don't mind. I'm fine with a variety of citrus :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have a point there. Much of my citrus is already losing some leaves (most too much yet).

I don't mind. I'm fine with a variety of citrus :p
Those bottom 2 limbs are growing from the root stock. All they will do is suck the energy and growth from the rest of the tree.

Ask a Question