Huge avocado

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have just coined an idea in my mind which I should aptly call mega earning. It involves growing of plants with a common theme of large size. Avocados grow in our area naturally. We had a medium sized avocado tree which used to give quite prolifically before it was hewed down for construction purposes.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is one BIG avocado!! :eek:

when I say unique I mean unique among all known plants: they have both female and male organs but go trough a weird cycle: they start female and this stage last for about 2 or 3 hours, then they close for a day. The next day they open again but as males and are now shedding pollen.

:) Victoria water lilies do that, too.

The lilies start out as female flowers but develop into male flowers on their second night, at which point they have changed in color from white to a rose pink. On their third day, pollinated, they sink to the river bottom to grow seeds that, when mature, float. https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2a6fee-c940-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would love a giant avocado bearing tree! Most people think .75 cents for an avocado is expensive, because it is one of the few fruits that is sold each vs. by pound. But if you did the math, most large apples here are $2.99lb which comes out to, you guessed it, about .75 cents per apple! It is all about perspective. Fruit should not cost as much as it does in SoCal (we grow just about every plant you can think of here). Avocados are heavenly, and I wish ours would fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Most people think .75 cents for an avocado is expensive

Wow, I wish they were that cheap here! They are around £1 each if not more (about $1.25 currently). It's not a locally grown fruit though, so extra cost is to be expected :rolleyes:

Ask a Question