Is anyone prepping for Hugelkulture this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have over 20 acres of forest land and I have found an abundance of fallen trees. Many have already started to decay. I have decided to try 2 Hugel mounds out in the side yard using the partially rotted logs. One will be for flowers and the other for vegetables yet to be determined. Is anyone else going to use this method this spring? I would appreciate any and all comments on the idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Don't worry, we realised that you weren't talking about peeping at logs. I just looked at some information on hugel mounds and it looks like a fun way to go if you've got lots of property as in your case.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Its a Great way of Improving the growing medium Of your soil & with 20 acres You should have plenty. But don't start giving it ways as the old wood is all part of a healthy Ecosystem in a wood And it will in it self add to the birds and wild life it can support (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are 2 ways to screw it up.

One, failure to locate in the natural path of groundwater. A dry hugel is an unhappy hugel, the wood won't rot properly.

Two, do not make a dam along the side of a hill, because it will build up countless tons of water weight in a storm and then fail, destroying that which is below.

Other than those 2 things I believe I would innoculate it if possible as you go along.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
groupp.gif

Hugel kulture
Hugel kulture
Hugel, hugel,
Hugel kulture !!

I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside of me
Girl, you just don't realize
What you do to me

I've read a good bit about it, but it's not anything I can put to use right now. :(

:oops: I really had nothing relevant to add, but I believe that if someone gives you an earworm, you can only get rid of it by giving it to someone else! ;)

I apologize. :oops:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It makes me want to sing:
ooka chuka chuka, ooka chuka chuka

Yes!! That's it exactly!! (y) :)

Now, you'll sing it, and I can stop. :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure there are people on here that will think we are nuts.

That we may be, but we are mostly harmless. ;) :D

I am editing to recognize your edit - good job naming them! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been building Hugelkulturs for a couple of years now, but not as big as you see on most youtube video, in other words I don't make a huge pile out of it; however, most of my main garden has buried wood underneath and I bury wood every year, still got some more to bury from the last hurricane that came thru.

Some say that initially the wood robs nitrogen from the soil, but from my experience this effect is way overstated; I don't have one iota of a problem with my plants growing over new hugelkultur beds. I've also heard that pine shouldn't be used in hugelkulturs, but again, my experience says different. Pine is just fine in the pile. I've even found earthworms tunneling thru decaying pine wood and the wood does soak up water and act as a sponge for roots to use as a source of water.

P.S. If nitrogen robbing is a concern for anyone, I'd recommend planting N2-fixing plants, but for me I use those plants mostly in areas where I haven't dug wood into the soil.

Ask a Question