Huge avocado

Reaction score
Country
United States
Take a look at this huge avocado that I just harvested, it is sitting on top of an iPad so you can get a sense of the size of this thing.

We have 2 avocado trees and I don't even know if this qualifies as "gardening" or not because they basically require no tending.

Worst part is that, aside from the ocasional guacamole, I really don't like avocados so I simply end up giving them away... I should seriously consider selling them.

Attachments

• IMG_6696.JPG
    IMG_6696.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 351
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
WHOA...that is enormous...my ipad is next to me on the desk and I'm looking at it as a comparison...I don't think I have ever seen an avocado quite that large!!

I am in the opposite camp though that I adore avocado...I would give anything to be able to grow a giant surplus!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Oh, oh, this is a sad thread to know that you are giving away those giant avocados and here I am hoping that I were one of your neighbors, huh. I love avocados and I usually buy in the market whenever they are available. The best style for me is to slice it and mix with milk and sugar. That is heavenly. There is one neighbor here with a fruiting avocado tree but they don't give away the fruits even if we know they are just falling from the tree and rotting on the ground.

From what I know, avocado needs no tending except when there are pests that inhabit it. And like our mango, we seldom tend it but it gives us good fruits all the time.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
It looks like the ones we have at my grandpa's house. I don't know why, but our tree always gives big avocados, even bigger than yours, for real. I'll have to take some pictures for the next time I go over there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10-B
Country
United States
We have an avocado tree in our yard, too. Ours look big, but the skins are really thick, so the edible part is about average sized. We've given away so many, and a good amount have fallen off. The latter makes the local wildlife very happy, and they leave the pits all over the backyard. It seems to be nearing the end of its season, so we will have to wait for more in the spring. I've never actually really looked for an avocado blossom, now that I think on it. I know the avocado tree is an evergreen. Do avocados have blossoms, or does the fruit grow from cones like a pine tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love to have a huge avocado. I love using them in a lot of dishes, but around here they are just so darn expensive most of the time. It is just one of those things, though, I guess, but I have no idea whether or not they have blossoms. Kind of makes me crave some guacamole.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do avocados have blossoms, or does the fruit grow from cones like a pine tree?

They have small flowers that are pretty lame and not very noteworthy, but if you ever have the time read a little about the avocado flower because it is very interesting and unique, and when I say unique I mean unique among all known plants: they have both female and male organs but go trough a weird cycle: they start female and this stage last for about 2 or 3 hours, then they close for a day. The next day they open again but as males and are now shedding pollen.

I've never observed this directly and I am no botanist to I don't know what was going on, but I read about it and it was fascinating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe you could try baking with them? I've heard of people making chocolate avocado cakes and things like that, where the avocado just really serves to make the cake deliciously moist!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chocolate-avocado-cake

Here's a recipe I found - haven't personally tried it but it could be a fun experiment!!

Yes, you could technically use avocado as a butter substitute for any recipe, avocado is very fatty but it is good fat so I should make for a more healthy cake, it also works for you if you are a vegan and want to get rid of all animal products (You can use almond milk, no idea how you substitute eggs though). Avocado is also a very calorie dense food, so don't go overboard with it just because it is not butter if you are on a caloric deficit regime.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, oh, this is a sad thread to know that you are giving away those giant avocados and here I am hoping that I were one of your neighbors, huh. I love avocados and I usually buy in the market whenever they are available. The best style for me is to slice it and mix with milk and sugar. That is heavenly. There is one neighbor here with a fruiting avocado tree but they don't give away the fruits even if we know they are just falling from the tree and rotting on the ground.

From what I know, avocado needs no tending except when there are pests that inhabit it. And like our mango, we seldom tend it but it gives us good fruits all the time.

I give all my garden's produce away, this may sound crazy but I feel that's the way it should be because those fruits were given to me by the plant for free... this is because avocado trees require no tending though, I can understand a farmer that has to bust his back all year round selling his harvest.

What a weird world we live in, I know that an avocado like that would be extremely expensive in some parts of the planet yet here I am basically picking those fruits up from the floor before the dogs get to them and ruin them. I also leave some of them laying around for the wildlife to consume, not like they are being wasted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Take a look at this huge avocado that I just harvested, it is sitting on top of an iPad so you can get a sense of the size of this thing.

We have 2 avocado trees and I don't even know if this qualifies as "gardening" or not because they basically require no tending.

Worst part is that, aside from the ocasional guacamole, I really don't like avocados so I simply end up giving them away... I should seriously consider selling them.

I'd like to be your neighbour ,too, fcuco:). I love avocados and your giant one would be like "The Magic Pudding", the children's story of the pudding you keep eating and it never gets any smaller. And as for your grandpa's avocados Insecto!!!! Please post some pics when you can so I can drool. Fascinating reproductive method, too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I give all my garden's produce away, this may sound crazy but I feel that's the way it should be because those fruits were given to me by the plant for free... this is because avocado trees require no tending though, I can understand a farmer that has to bust his back all year round selling his harvest.

What a weird world we live in, I know that an avocado like that would be extremely expensive in some parts of the planet yet here I am basically picking those fruits up from the floor before the dogs get to them and ruin them. I also leave some of them laying around for the wildlife to consume, not like they are being wasted.

Your huge avocados are surely tempting and I can imagine the nice taste. I still have to see an avocado tree with fruits that are in the low branches.

That's also the case with our banana plants. Whenever we have a harvest, we have no choice but to share with the neighbors and up to my colleagues in the office. The banana is prolific with one harvest having at least 10 clusters and each cluster has at least 20 fruits so it's easy to compute that we have more than 200 bananas. It is impossible for us to eat all of those 200 bananas. Right now we have a fruiting banana which is due for harvest in December.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's so big!
Blend an avocado, 2 bananas, 2 tbsp cocoa and add some honey to it, it will taste like nutella:) It's a yummy treat.

Ask a Question