Established plants dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last summer (2023) in Montana zone 4, I had a large area of long established creeping juniper and several established sulphur buckwheat plants suddenly die. My first thought was that they had been overwatered; however, both of these plants have been established and well-growing for many years and I don't believe that the moisture they received was significantly different than that of any other year in the last decade. Does anyone have any idea if there was some kind of disease or infestation going around that could have caused this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you have unusual weather conditions last year? My first thoughts were fungal issues, which can wipe out junipers.
Although they really like chalky soils, they tolerate acid soils as well. Extremes of temperature is all I can think of without investigating from close quarters.
Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Does anyone have any idea if there was some kind of disease or infestation going around that could have caused this?
You probably need a soil test for contamination.
If some plants were diseased and you added their remains to your compost that can cause problems.
Neighbors' spraying herbicide can cause it.
Sorry to hear it has taken out such a large area, but nature will bounce back. Try planting the area in broad beans and see if they succeed.
Welcome.

Ask a Question