The Tomatillo

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Don’t be fooled by the name. This isn’t a green tomato. No, it is an interesting to grow, very flavorful plant producing distinctive fruit commonly used in Salsa Verde and as flavor enhancers in other dishes. I find it especially good in chili.

They are easy to grow producing an attractive flowering plant from seed that tends to spread out rather than grow upward like tomatoes. Mine tend to be as wide as they are tall…about 4 feet. They are not self-pollinating, so they need a companion(s).

tomatillo plants.JPG

Each plant produces over two pounds of fruit and it can be a bit tricky picking it at the right time…not watermelon tricky but still a little tricky. I like to get them when they fill the husks and the husks begin to split.

tomatillos.JPG

Without hesitation, I offer that Salsa Verde is the highest and best use of the fruit…but for some it may be an acquired taste. We love it!

Salsa Verde.JPG

It is fun to grow and fun to eat…but is not a green tomato.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I can't speak to ground-cherries, but tomatillos are very easy to grow...much easier than tomatoes for example.

They don't have the big, tall and wide spread of tomatoes that can require a good bit of management. Something like 3 ft tall and wide.

So far, they have been virtually pest free...just a very few fruits have been penetrated by some kind of worm/bug.

They seem to respond well to the Epsom salts that I am a proponent of.

Easy to germinate the seed and plant them deep like tomatoes burying 2/3 of the plant. They are not self-fertile, so plant at least two.

Anything else?

Ask a Question