Broccoli and brussels sprouts in a bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm new to the brassicas world, but I've heard tell of not planting such in the same bed more than a year in a row. Would this apply even if the soil is renewed/refreshed? What if they're on one end of the bed one year, then the opposite end on the other year (roughly 10-15 feet apart)?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, I'm new to the brassicas world, but I've heard tell of not planting such in the same bed more than a year in a row. Would this apply even if the soil is renewed/refreshed? What if they're on one end of the bed one year, then the opposite end on the other year (roughly 10-15 feet apart)?
It's normal to rotate all crops. Nowadays we see brassicas planted here, there and everywhere on their lonesome or in pairs, triplets etc. Brassicas don't have to be planted together. In order to confuse the cursed white cabbage moth, they are being planted in the herb bed or amongst the onion crop, surrounded by flowers or next to the bird bath.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm new to the brassicas world, but I've heard tell of not planting such in the same bed more than a year in a row.
The limit should read not planting in the same soil more than a year in a row

Would this apply even if the soil is renewed/refreshed?
Possibly...depending on the method of renewal. If you just add some synthetic fertilizer, for example, then No. If, on the other hand, you added composted animal manure, green manure, and changed out some soil, should work.

... What if they're on one end of the bed one year, then the opposite end on the other year (roughly 10-15 feet apart)?
I believe that would work just fine.

By the way, if you have had a soil test, check the boron levels. You may find, like myself, that your soil is low/empty of boron. It makes a huge difference in growing all the Brassicas. Just a bonus tip for you. :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
By the way, if you have had a soil test, check the boron levels. You may find, like myself, that your soil is low/empty of boron. It makes a huge difference in growing all the Brassicas. Just a bonus tip for you. :giggle:
Is it true that a hollow void in the stem of broccoli is a sign of boron deficiency. I read that on the internet at one point so my data point is a bit suspect.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Is it true that a hollow void in the stem of broccoli is a sign of boron deficiency. I read that on the internet at one point so my data point is a bit suspect.
Yes, it can be. A lack of boron in the soil can lead to hollow stem. However, other things can also contribute like excess Nitrogen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use 20 mule team borax but you should dissolve it in a bucket of water then water the ground. This is because it would be hard to spread evenly because the lbs/acre or ppm requirement is really low.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Do you just...buy boron, then?
Yes...Amazon is the gardener's friend:

boron.jpg

Ask a Question