Did anyone ever make fun of you for gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was working in the Lawn Saturday and fell by the road.

I couldn't get up. People drove by never stopped.

big rockpile
Not meaning to be interfering, but considering your post the other day in the thread about dealing with the garden as we age, you seem to be falling a lot lately. Maybe it's time to ease off a bit - even talk to you doc? Just a bit concerned about you. My brother-in-law has fallen a number of times this last year. Usually doing things he shouldn't be, but he always made excuses and "it's got to be done" but he wouldn't ask for help. Then about 8 months ago he fell in his front yard trying to adjust some sprinklers. Landed on a tree root and broke one of his vertebrae. We kept trying to tell him he shouldn't so so much. Now he can't do anything! His health went steeply downhill from there. Started memory and other mental issues too. Next week he is going into a care home and I fear he will not make it another year. It has been a lesson for us to be aware of what we are really able to do safely and not tell ourselves it's no big deal and push it. I know it feels a bit humiliating sometimes, but we're still alive and kicking - albeit a little more gently. Anyway, good luck to you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not meaning to be interfering, but considering your post the other day in the thread about dealing with the garden as we age, you seem to be falling a lot lately. Maybe it's time to ease off a bit - even talk to you doc? Just a bit concerned about you. My brother-in-law has fallen a number of times this last year. Usually doing things he shouldn't be, but he always made excuses and "it's got to be done" but he wouldn't ask for help. Then about 8 months ago he fell in his front yard trying to adjust some sprinklers. Landed on a tree root and broke one of his vertebrae. We kept trying to tell him he shouldn't so so much. Now he can't do anything! His health went steeply downhill from there. Started memory and other mental issues too. Next week he is going into a care home and I fear he will not make it another year. It has been a lesson for us to be aware of what we are really able to do safely and not tell ourselves it's no big deal and push it. I know it feels a bit humiliating sometimes, but we're still alive and kicking - albeit a little more gently. Anyway, good luck to you.
Bad thing with me falling is I can't get up.

Now I'm dealing with this Boot because of my Foot. Not saying this is my main problem Medication don't help plus I have a bad Leg.

My Cancer Doctor wants me to stay inside.

Supposed to get stitches out this week and then maybe get rid of the Boot next.

My Doctor says Hydrocodone will mess with me and I hate it. Marijuana has less side effects but still messes with me.

Scares my Doctor I'm on Blood Thinners and bruse easy plus Blood Clots.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe the fear of getting sued. Folks seem sue happy these days.
Well I did Sue the city one time for killing my Dogs instead of putting them in the Pound. They knew the problem.

I had an animal rights person let them out when I would put them in a Pen.

Then another time I got a picture of a neighbor's Dog tearing up my garden and Sued him.

Years ago I got down in the Snow and couldn't get up while I was Deer hunting. Lucky for me there was a guy Quail hunting close by, heard me and got me to his vehicle and got me warmed up.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yelp fell here while back fell and took out a Door Knob. Told my wife if I had died stuff that needed doing wouldn't be my problem.

big rockpile

20230911_073419.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Falling Issues
Few things, stretching "Before" you start your day is important. Stretching during the project is important. When you "stretch" make sure a stable object is near by should you feel faint. Simply a tree, table, chair etc.
On You tube there are many examples of stretching----type in Yoga for "SENIORS", type in Stretching for SENIORS, Type in exercise for "Seniors" Type in "Chair exercise for Seniors. Also I have seen teaching on line from Physical Therapist, Type in Physical Therapy for Seniors. Not saying all this is the PERFECT Example for all of you reading this, but taking bits from some may be helpful to you.

From my 20 years working in the nursing home industry I have seen many elderly breaking a hip. The phrase was, did the hip break first and then they fell , or did the fall break the hip. Anyone with a advance case of osteoporosis can suffer from "spontaneous bone break". I have had clients that broke an arm in their sleep. We call them china dolls. You can determine your level of osteoporosis from a Dexa Scan. A Dexa Scan is very important to get beginning at age 50 for some baseline and then again in about 10 years. But, if not even had one just get one as a senior. The sad part----I have noticed with folks that have broken a hip, is during the trauma to the area a blood clot is dislodged and can begin to travel . Sadly I have seen a very high percentage of folks a year later die from a blood clot as it traveled to a lung or brain.

Back to the Dexa Scan, make sure you see the results of the findings, it will show you the "normal" figures and then what you are. If your just a tiny bit of the norm just start taking Vit D3 and some Calcium. Don't let your doctor prescribe you something crazy. Mine did, and I told him he was nuts. Funny thing my next Dexa Scan 9 years later, "another doctor" told me I had no worried for the next 20 years, and did not have to be on anything.
There are some heavy duty osteoporosis that can cause major side effects. Be careful.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok before I was going to the Gym. Yoga, Weights, Machines and Pool.

If I happen to fall I can't pull myself up. I tried swimming couple times and it wasn't good.

I was telling my wife once I'm healed there is one Machine I really like but if I fall they will call an Ambulance other than just getting me up.

Use to be active in Karate but once I was put on Blood Thinners they said no.

Any more I have to get a ride to the Gym and then I can only Work Out a half hour.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Ok before I was going to the Gym. Yoga, Weights, Machines and Pool.

If I happen to fall I can't pull myself up. I tried swimming couple times and it wasn't good.

I was telling my wife once I'm healed there is one Machine I really like but if I fall they will call an Ambulance other than just getting me up.

Use to be active in Karate but once I was put on Blood Thinners they said no.

Any more I have to get a ride to the Gym and then I can only Work Out a half hour.

big rockpile
All my recommendations start with "Senior" this or that. What is the old saying Move it or Lose it. Nothing about the Gym or machines.

Ask a Question