Did anyone ever make fun of you for gardening?

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I was growing up, most kids were into Football or some sport type. I would be outside jamming to my MP3 player trying out different combinations and weeding my garden. Most times some of the kids would come by and trash my floral arrangements or pull up my garden to be douchebags.

I stopped caring after awhile, though. It was going to happen.

So what I did was plant a garden in plain sight with trash/junk plants for them to trash and moved my personal work out back, where I'd be able to see them if they came to trash it (as my computer room window faced outside toward our shed.)

So, did anyone ever make fun of you for being a green thumb?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Not until I moved to Texas. I grew up in a farming community and everyone had a green thumb of some sort. In upstate NY, gardening was a brief but pleasant activity between snowstorms.
Now that I'm in Texas I encounter "That's a lot of work" and "You can get that at the grocery". I still grow lots of stuff and enjoy it immensely and let those who make fun of my gardens go hungry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Douchebags huh? :LOL: That's rough. I grew up in the Bronx so gardening was not exactly a popular thing. Things would disappear though (quite often) and I'd freak out a little. I've always been a little out there so I guess most people just shook their heads, had pity and all that other good stuff bullies do. Years later I'm still gardening only now it's on a bigger scale. Different locations, always adapting to whatever life throws at me. But, no... to answer your question. Damn douchebags :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No, this has never happened to me. People sometimes smile when I talk about my miniature roses and my love for them, but that's all. No one has ever made fun of me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not sure that anyone has ever made fun of my gardening before. Where I live, there is a huge movement for people to be self sustainable and it is encouraged to grow your own food. If anyone makes fun of you for growing your own fruits and veggies then they are ignorant and you get to reap the benefits. Perhaps when I was younger someone may have made fun of me for killing a plant or something, but I can't remember.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Yes. Mostly my family though because they knew from past experience everything I tried to grow died.:(. But when we bought our house I was determined that I was going to grow flowers.:love: It's coming along and this forum has been a lot of help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband did at first. He didn't think I was going to really want to get into gardening. Once he realized how serious I was he helped me get it going.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There have been a few people make fun. But, it doesn't last very long when I ask them where their food comes from and they can't tell me or they say "the store". Its sad how alot of people don't know where their food comes from and they don't care.

Ask a Question