Cherry wine

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
at-the-bar.gif
@Trellum tells me he has not met anyone so far who makes wines at home. This recipe is for Trellum and for all those who would want to join the bandwagon of wine makers. We make wines with different fruits sour and sweet. Wine in fact is made from even the outer cover of peas.

This is how we make our cherry wine.

2 lbs. tart cherries
1 lb sugar
5 cups water

quarter teaspoon yeast

Wash and crush cherries lightly. Boil together the top 3 ingredients. Cool to room temperature add yeast, stir. Keep it a clean air tight container for 22 days. Strain using a muslin cloth folded 4 times. Once again store the liquid in an airtight container.

Wine is ready for consumption. You might like to make some adjustments to get the results you want.

cherries.jpg

Talking about wine have you heard this one?

A couple was giving each other company sipping wine. After a while the wife said "I love you" to which the husband queries whether it was the wine that was talking. No said the wife, I was talking to the wine.
Have a nice day. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oooh this sounds luverly! I love cherry wine and will definitely try making this, I must pace myself though as it brings back some bad old memories!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oooh this sounds luverly! I love cherry wine and will definitely try making this, I must pace myself though as it brings back some bad old memories!
Sometimes some of our activities bring back bad memories but I suppose you can overcome them in honour of the cherry wine (lol)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This doesn't sound complicated at all:D I think I'll try to make my own wine too! What other fruits can I use? I don't know where to buy tart cherries, no one grows them in my area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I put three (3.6 US) gallons of rhubarb wine on yesterday.
12 lbs chopped (1/2 ") rhubarb layered in a fermenting bucket with 7 1/2 lbs sugar.
Leave for 24 hours for osmosis to extract much of the rhubarb juice, then add 8pts (10 US) boiling water.
Top up to 3 gals, allow to cool to room temp and add champagne wine yeast.
Fit airlock to fermenting bin and ferment out, stirring daily.
Remove the rhubarb, pressing out the remaining juice through a sieve, and put on compost heap.
Divide the must equally between 3 demijohns and top up with 1 part grape juice to 2 parts water.
Fit airlocks and ferment out.
Rack off until clear, then, using the fermenting bucket, de-gas by pouring from the demijohns, then syphoning back.
bottle after three months, drink after another three.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This doesn't sound complicated at all:D I think I'll try to make my own wine too! What other fruits can I use? I don't know where to buy tart cherries, no one grows them in my area.

Here is the list and more

1. Apricots . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Blackberries . . . . . . . . . .
    Blueberries . . . . . . . . . . .
    Currents. . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Elderberries . . . . . . . . . .
    Gooseberries. . . . . . . . . .
    Peaches . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Pears . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Persimmons . . . . . . . . . .
    Pineapple . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Plums . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Raspberries . . . . . . . . . .
    Strawberries . . . . . . . . . . .
    Watermelon (Centers) . .

1. Net helped me get this list. Each fruit requires a different approach.
Happy wine making.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I put three (3.6 US) gallons of rhubarb wine on yesterday.
12 lbs chopped (1/2 ") rhubarb layered in a fermenting bucket with 7 1/2 lbs sugar.
Leave for 24 hours for osmosis to extract much of the rhubarb juice, then add 8pts (10 US) boiling water.
Top up to 3 gals, allow to cool to room temp and add champagne wine yeast.
Fit airlock to fermenting bin and ferment out, stirring daily.
Remove the rhubarb, pressing out the remaining juice through a sieve, and put on compost heap.
Divide the must equally between 3 demijohns and top up with 1 part grape juice to 2 parts water.
Fit airlocks and ferment out.
Rack off until clear, then, using the fermenting bucket, de-gas by pouring from the demijohns, then syphoning back.
bottle after three months, drink after another three.
Yours seems a more professional approach and surely must be tasting like those French wines :) . Somehow our wine seems ok. An easy approach for busy housewives.

Reaction score
Hehehe, thank you very much! This recipe is for me, heh? (y) I must say it sounds easier than I thought! Thanks a lot for sharing! Do you think its the same process with other berries and even grapes? I'm just curious ;) Thanks a lot! I might give it a try! In my mother country we use the pineapple skins to make a semi alcoholic drink... it tastes amazing, we know it as 'tepache''. A good tepache will make you feel a bit tipsy after drinking it...most of the tepaches I've drunk don't, but once I tasted one that did :love: Most amazing ever!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hehehe, thank you very much! This recipe is for me, heh? (y) I must say it sounds easier than I thought! Thanks a lot for sharing! Do you think its the same process with other berries and even grapes? I'm just curious ;) Thanks a lot! I might give it a try! In my mother country we use the pineapple skins to make a semi alcoholic drink... it tastes amazing, we know it as 'tepache''. A good tepache will make you feel a bit tipsy after drinking it...most of the tepaches I've drunk don't, but once I tasted one that did :love: Most amazing ever!
The amount of sugar and the amount of water differs depending on the fruit's sweetness and water content. Cherries do not need tanin as it contains tanin naturally. Tanin gives that bitter taste that one finds in wines. Also all fruits need not be boiled except those that are sour. You better use the trial and error method.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is a bottle I'm making from 1gal. of 100% pure grape juice,that's about 3/4 of the gal.,1 3/4 cup of sugar,2 teas. of active dry bakers yeast, shake it up until sugar is dissolved,install air lock (homemade airlock) and wait for bubbling to stop in airlock (2 to 4 weeks) bakers yeast gives a little bread taste,its best to use wine yeast if needed,these wild blackberries i'll pick this year,if i don't wash them off after picking won't need yeast,they will have natural yeast which makes a better tasting wine.
The amount of sugar depends on the amount of natural sugar, the grape juice had 38g, you're supposed to use a hydrometer to check sugar continent,i use trial an error method,a lot of sugar the sweeter,less sugar the dryer :)
CAM00066.jpg
CAM00063.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you really need to know the alcohol content of wines, or are pushing the limits of the yeast's alcohol tolerance, an hydrometer is superfluous.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Made a lot of wine over the years, but due to kitchen restraints at the moment I do it the lazy way.

I Litre of prune juice, I litre of apple, I kg of unrefined sugar, super yeast and top up to 5 litres with water :)

Ask a Question