Zone 3, but hot

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am in zone 3. I have a flowerbed facing south against my house which gets hot and has very sandy soil. Right now, I have minus thyme, cactus,clematis(which does well till July) and sea lavender. I’d like to have more perennials,but it gets very hot and needs frequent watering.
I’m looking for recommendations. Any advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Adrienne. :) Please could I ask you to put your area in your avatar box. This is an international forum and zone 3 means nothing to many of us when trying to help others gardening in their specific climate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm in Zone 3, and even a South facing wall never gets too hot for plants. It only feels hot to us because we're not used to it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If this person is in Zone 3, the average high temp in summer is 75 to 85 F and average low is -25 to -40 F. There may be a few days warmer or colder, but those are the averages....

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@Sheal believe me there is no "hot" place in zone 3 in this country. This person hasn't responded so I'm thinking it's a windup or they've mistated their zone.
Not a windup or mistaken zone. I live in SE Saskatchewan.
This particular area does get hot. I currently have native cacti, minus thyme, alliums (that are up a foot,but will be crispy a couple weeks after bloom)
I’ve tried numerous annuals and other perennials with no success.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!
Have you thought about putting in some kind of inexpensive watering system?[/QUOTE
If this person is in Zone 3, the average high temp in summer is 75 to 85 F and average low is -25 to -40 F. There may be a few days warmer or colder, but those are the averages....
lol if only I understood Fahrenheit
Last year was 25-40 C and this last winter we’re the same - with negatives in front.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Adrienne isn't kidding around. South Sask is a scorcher in the summer. I'm in southern Alberta and we are now zone 4 we were zone 3. So just an hours drive from me, in zone 3 you can find cacti, rattle snakes and on the Alberta Sask border, a place called Cypress hills, you can find scorpions.
Some may find this interesting, a place I like to hike an hours drive from my house. Horseshoe Canyon, a place of heat, rattle snakes and cacti.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Adrienne and welcome. I use to have a hot sun garden on my south side and I grew cone flowers, yarrow, Iris, and coreopsis with no problems. And some hardy little rose shrubs can do well.

Ask a Question