Your Porches and Decks

Reaction score
I love to see color on my front porch. I like to have hanging baskets full of flowers and baskets sitting on holders all over the porch. This year I have two very large cherry tomatoes on each side of the steps at the top of the porch. We had to string them up using the porch railings. I also have petunias, violas, moss rose, alyssum and marigolds planted in various pots and planters. I also have basil, cilantro, lemon thyme and oregano in pots as well. To the side of my porch on each side is azalea and holly bushes. Hubby planted a mixture of cutting flowers at the front of the porch this year but they have not come up yet. I am hoping that all of the color will make the house inviting.

Do you keep plants on your porches and decks?

Reaction score
Yes, they are a must for me even when I have the smallest of space to put them in. Much of it this year is vertical and doing it that way really saves me a lot of space.

Reaction score
Yes, they are a must for me even when I have the smallest of space to put them in. Much of it this year is vertical and doing it that way really saves me a lot of space.

Yes I would love to try the vertical gardening with wooden pallents. If I could get hubby to hand one on the side of the porch suspended from chains that would be great. I would fill it with herbs and flowers alike. Now I have ideas sparking in my head. LOL

Reaction score
i'm further ahead in the back yard, but i've done a little to the front and kind of eyeballing more ideas.

i had two pine/evergreen bushes to the left and right of my front porch, but one got pulled up when i had waterline issues. i eventually pulled up the other three and replaced three of the spots with smaller conical evergreens in large pots. the 4th spot has my rain barrel, with two creeping evergreen on each side of it (they're dying though. that needs a rethink). i also put two of the conical ones on each side of the door on the porch, in the same pots. then in smaller matching pots i have a few hosta in front of the evergreens and some annuals in pots on either side of the stairs up to the door.

all the pots match, but they're pretty cheap plastic so i try to keep an eye out for better ones (getting that many matching ones gets spendy though), and i'm starting to move out into the front yard, so it has a way to go yet.

Reaction score
i'm further ahead in the back yard, but i've done a little to the front and kind of eyeballing more ideas.

i had two pine/evergreen bushes to the left and right of my front porch, but one got pulled up when i had waterline issues. i eventually pulled up the other three and replaced three of the spots with smaller conical evergreens in large pots. the 4th spot has my rain barrel, with two creeping evergreen on each side of it (they're dying though. that needs a rethink). i also put two of the conical ones on each side of the door on the porch, in the same pots. then in smaller matching pots i have a few hosta in front of the evergreens and some annuals in pots on either side of the stairs up to the door.

all the pots match, but they're pretty cheap plastic so i try to keep an eye out for better ones (getting that many matching ones gets spendy though), and i'm starting to move out into the front yard, so it has a way to go yet.

We have lots of different pots. I am afraid that the pretty matching pots that I want would cost a fortune. We also use the cheapy plastic ones. Every once in a while we will run across a garden center clearance sale on outdated stock and get something pretty but it rarely matches.

We really need to work on our back yard. It is where the garden is and other than that we don't have much but the woods.

What sorts of annuals do you have?

Reaction score
mostly dead ones.

I just tried some leftovers from a back yard project. some marigolds, begonias, petunias, and a couple things I forgot. I think I didn't water them enough.

big lots has some pretty cheap terra cotta looking pots in about 3-4 sizes that all match, and some hanging ones that look like the regular ones. you get what you pay for though. the plus and minus is, I was able to get them over time (16 all together) 'cause they always have the same style every year (they were a little darker this year though), and once I had them all I could just buy one or two to replace cracked ones. the minus obviously, is you'll probably have to replace one or two each year. that's still better than biting the bullet and trying to replace them all with a better matching set.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I could get hubby to hand one on the side of the porch suspended from chains that would be great. I would fill it with herbs and flowers alike. Shellyann36 this gives me an idea also to hang pallets from the deck to cover the storage under the deck and still be able to add plants to the pallet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Planted runner beans in a big plastic pot and some volunteer foxgloves (seeded themselves over the winter). Unfortunately I didn't get the pot repainted this spring and the paint is flaking off. Spray paint is one way to get matching pots, or just pick one color you like and only buy that color. Over time you will have a nice collection.
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is the seating area by the back door. Mixture of pots

Reaction score
mostly dead ones.

I just tried some leftovers from a back yard project. some marigolds, begonias, petunias, and a couple things I forgot. I think I didn't water them enough.

big lots has some pretty cheap terra cotta looking pots in about 3-4 sizes that all match, and some hanging ones that look like the regular ones. you get what you pay for though. the plus and minus is, I was able to get them over time (16 all together) 'cause they always have the same style every year (they were a little darker this year though), and once I had them all I could just buy one or two to replace cracked ones. the minus obviously, is you'll probably have to replace one or two each year. that's still better than biting the bullet and trying to replace them all with a better matching set.

I will have to take a look at Big Lots. I also like what @Jewell said about spray painting the pots the color that I want them. That is a good idea.

If I could get hubby to hand one on the side of the porch suspended from chains that would be great. I would fill it with herbs and flowers alike. Shellyann36 this gives me an idea also to hang pallets from the deck to cover the storage under the deck and still be able to add plants to the pallet.

Glad I could supply you with that idea. If I had a similar situation I would do the same thing!

@Jewell I love your porch! The colors pop and the seating just looks so relaxing! Thanks for the idea about painting the pots. If I ever get the terracotta pots this is what I will do.

Ask a Question