Would you pinch off a piece of a plant in a public place?

Reaction score
I am tempted to do that whenever I see the colorful leaves/flowers of ornamental plants in public parks - orange, violet - I don't see this color often in my neighbors' garden. Sadly, right there on the park is a notice that it is illegal to pick flowers/plants from the garden so really, I don't want to commit that type of violation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've done it when it's literally flowers growing on the side of a road, that were just wildflowers. If it was someone's garden I wouldn't feel comfortable at all doing that -- and I wouldn't like it done to my flowers, either! I think it really depends on the situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
When you are out and see a beautiful plant do you considered getting a pinch off the plant to take home to start a new plant for your self? I was out recently saw a beautiful plant that I would have loved getting a cutting from but I did not see anyone to ask permission to pinch the plant. Would you think that is a form of stealing?
I believe that it's not stealing as long as you don't damage the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
In the olden days, that is an ordinary occurrence in our place. I was born and raised in the city and some big houses have gardens outside their perimeter fence. I have seen people taking some cuttings from those beautiful plants that they plant in their front yard. But that was then. Now the owner may accuse you of harming their plants so it is not really safe to do that.

We have planted some herbs in the front of our house (the sidewalk) for the benefit of neighbors. The lemon grass is their favorite haunt. Getting lemon grass and other herbs from our frontage is all right because that is the real purpose.

Ask a Question