Would you pinch off a piece of a plant in a public place?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you are out and see a beautiful plant do you considered getting a pinch off the plant to take home to start a new plant for your self? I was out recently saw a beautiful plant that I would have loved getting a cutting from but I did not see anyone to ask permission to pinch the plant. Would you think that is a form of stealing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No, I don't think it's a form of stealing. After all, you don't take a whole plant. It's just one, small cutting. However, I must say that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I don't take anything from a public area without permission.

Reaction score
Although I'm not 100% sure of the legalities regarding taking cuttings from a plant that doesn't belong to you - its not something that I would ever do without first asking permission.

As to me its more a matter of having respect for someone else's property - especially as its something that has happened to me on more than one occasion and have to say - that as not everyone does it carefully and will more often than not damage your plant - there is nothing more demolishing than seeing a beautiful plant that you have nurtured for years - become an unsightly mess - just because people didn't have the decency to ask first.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
gata montes I agree asking permission to touch a person plants is just common courtesy. I always ask for a cutting if I want one and if there is no one there to ask permission I admire the plant and dream of what it would look like in my home or yard but I would never pinch off a piece to satisfy my personal desires.

Reaction score
I don't think this is something that i would ever do, if i see something that i like i believe in asking for it ...i couldn't stand the thought of being branded as a thief.

Reaction score
There's a public park with a jogging path behind my apartment. I did once take a small cutting of a plant in the park. I saw the original plant in the park recently and it has grown back many times over. I didn't ask the parks department for permission but considering that they have recently been cutting down a lot of the trees in the park, I don't think a plant cutting makes much of a difference.

Reaction score
Depends on what the 'public place' is. I live very near the edge of a forest/mountain and I regularly take cuttings and plants from that area. But a public place like a park would be a no-no.

Mostly I won't do it because I don't want to risk getting reprimanded. After all there might be a no picking sign I've missed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Not really. I do not like pinching flowers or even leaves from plants in public places. In fact, even when I am at home, I just let the flowers be. I feel that if I do this, I will hurt the plant in a way. Also, I have heard stories of people who killed a plant because they just pinched a flower. Some people are very superstitious but I somehow believe them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I feel the same way, Helagumamela. I know that plants can't experience pain, but I always worry about hurting them. Even pruning my roses is stressful for me. Of course it's crazy and completely irrational, but I can't help it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we lived in town we had a garden that was visited by many people. I always offered a cuttting or seeds when asked. If someone decided to "just help themselves" I asked them to leave. It is as Pat sad--just common courtesy to ask, even if the plant is in a public area.
By asking for a cutting or seeds, you get to meet other gardeners, or at least those who take care of public spaces. It's a side benefit of being polite!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just put a hi viz jacket on, put a few cones around, and dig the whole thing out, no one will question it :D

Reaction score
I agree with the policy of asking first ... having said that, if you are being careful, particularly in a public park, I do not see it as a problem.

Sometimes it is fun to just grab a leaf and see if you can identify the species in more detail. On some occasions, when you pull out the botany guide, you have something different to what you thought you were looking at ... that helps purchase the right plant. As we all know, they do not always look the same in the plant nursery so the sample makes it is easy to ask the Horticulturalist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Just put a hi viz jacket on, put a few cones around, and dig the whole thing out, no one will question it :D

Are you a secret service agent or something? HVLP, hi viz jacket?o_O.

I must say you are all right and I agree mostly with courtesy and asking. I used to work in two hospitals and always admired the plants that were there. One day I saw one of the people who took care of the plants and she had tons of clippings. I asked her if I could have some, she said take as many as you want and gave me some tips of how to care for them. I guess you can say I was at the right place at the right time.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
The park I sometimes visit actually has a sign up saying that people mustn't interfere with the plants, so I'm sure that one could get into trouble if one tried to take cuttings there. Regardless, I've never tried taking cuttings in any public places, though I've been known to pick up seeds off the ground.

My reality is that I have access to more cuttings than I could possibly grow, both from pruning my own bonsai trees and the branches I'm offered by other people when I attend bonsai workshops. I now give away a lot more cuttings than I plant myself and often take trees to prune at workshops just so that the cuttings don't go to waste.

Ask a Question