Would you grieve the loss of an old plant?

Reaction score
If you've have ever lost someone who you love, you understand grief. It occurs to me that a plant can be in a persons life for years. I'm wondering if anyone has a story about experiencing grief over the loss of a plant?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I don’t like it when plants, trees and even grass get hurt or cut or step on. I realize how beautiful nature is and I want to connect to nature more. Every nature lover knows that plants and trees reacts to human touch and voice just like a pet and I read long ago that according to research potatoes actually faint prior to boiling them. My mom grieves when a plant withers or dies, she loves them all so dearly and treat them like a family.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I never grieved for a plant in that way but a couple of summers back we had two hail storms within 3 days. My dads corn field was shredded and my huge garden was obliterated. We both trudged back, through the ice cold ankle deep water, past all the outbuildings to see the damage. We both stood there in agony and it hurt me, not just for the loss of produce but the pure ruin of it. And I cried I didn't know what else to do.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really hate to see a plant that I have been caring for die. Last spring I put my afican violet out for some sun forgot about it, the temperature dropped when it started to rain. I was not home to take the plant back indoors, it died. I had that plant for 2 years, I was hurt.

Reaction score
Its not easy when a really old plant dies but the grief process that I go through is not the same as what would happen if a loved one or pet passed on. I've had some extremely old plants and the thing that I remember is that they had a wonderful run and then take it out and compost it.

Reaction score
I had a plant I really liked, and was definitely disappointed when it died, but I would not say I grieved it. I was just disappointed because I had to start over with a small one and it would be a long time before it grew to be as big as the previous one had been. I guess to me a plant isn't something I get that sentimental about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I can't say that I grieved over a dying plant because mine died all the time. Not having the opportunity to get to the caring point. I can say that my mother had a very green thumb and I watched her let her plant die as she was dying also. I tried to get her to take care of it as she used to but she didn't 'care' about it anymore. After she passed I went into her room and rescued what was left. I still have some today but they don't grow as lively as they did when she was alive. So do you think that the plant is grieving because of its loss, or because I don't have a green thumb as my mother did?:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wouldn't say I would personally grieve. I just get disappointed and annoyed. I think I would feel differently if there was strong sentimental value attached to it. I had a friend who had a cactus for 15 years and was completely devastated when another friend's ignorance accidentally got it killed. I mean yeah it's not a cat or dog, but it's something she had for 15 years and cared for it. That plant has been with her through thick and thin and you can't really replace that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would not grieve too much over the loss of a plant either. I might be sad for just a little while and disapointed as well. Plants are something I enjoy to look at, but do not get that attached to them because they can die in the blink of an eye if the conditions are right.

Reaction score
I never grieved for a plant in that way but a couple of summers back we had two hail storms within 3 days. My dads corn field was shredded and my huge garden was obliterated. We both trudged back, through the ice cold ankle deep water, past all the outbuildings to see the damage. We both stood there in agony and it hurt me, not just for the loss of produce but the pure ruin of it. And I cried I didn't know what else to do.
That was touching. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Life can be such a test at times. Yet we keep going, life is for the living.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That was touching. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Life can be such a test at times. Yet we keep going, life is for the living.
Exactly, not much else to do but picks yourself up (after a bit of a pity party of course :oops:) and keep on keeping on!

Reaction score
Two of my rosemary plants died which had me really sad for a while ; at the time i didn't have a clue as to what the cause was but since being on this forum i realized that my plants had died from me over watering them. At least now i've gather enough knowledge here so i am now better able to take care of the rosemary plant that i have presently.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Plants' demise make me so sad even if I only had it for a while but when I had it for a long time and it dies, I honestly sink in deep melancholia and it brings me to tears. I really can't help it because that plant is like a new member to my family. We water, clean and take care of it as how it should be because it's a living thing. Plants dying is a losing life.

Ask a Question