Worms for leaf pile

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No. The pile needs to be kept moist and preferably shredded to compost. Maybe meal worms or something like that but you would need a lot and it would need to be boxed in so they can't get out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
My neighbor uses 3 big trashcans. He drilled holes in them, put some finished compost in the bottom. He went to a local bait shop and bought a dozen worms for each trashcan. then he fills with compost. He does this all year long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The worms in my leaf compost look a bit different, but I have never added worms. Just leave the bottom of the pile in contact with the ground and the appropriate type of worm will find it is my experience with any type of composting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Somewhere between the leaf compost and soil, you can find worms. However not in pure leaves or high carbon sources. They need protein too and lots of it to go with the carbon. .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Somewhere between the leaf compost and soil, you can find worms. However not in pure leaves or high carbon sources. They need protein too and lots of it to go with the carbon. .
leaves were stuffed into a cylinder of wire netting, they had been sitting for half a year maybe. When I break it up the top and outside are too dry to have done much, but about half way down it becomes damp and rotting in the centre and I start to find worms

Reaction score
Country
Canada
leaves were stuffed into a cylinder of wire netting, they had been sitting for half a year maybe. When I break it up the top and outside are too dry to have done much, but about half way down it becomes damp and rotting in the centre and I start to find worms

Mine always does that too, composts from the bottom up. I find it helps a lot tossing in a few shovels of soil and manure as I put the leaf mulch in to break it down all the way and get the worms and other critters in there to do their thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I usually turn my pile with a pitch fork in mid to late January. Worms hang out because its warm in there with the fall leaves and all. The air is important too. I opened a dense pile of kitchen scrap recently and there were no worms inside but they were around the outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine always does that too, composts from the bottom up. I find it helps a lot tossing in a few shovels of soil and manure as I put the leaf mulch in to break it down all the way and get the worms and other critters in there to do their thing.
You're adding nitrogen to the carbon parts. Thats why it goes faster. Keep it up.

Ask a Question