Grub Worms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello, friends. As many of you know, my wife, dad, and I just moved to Tennessee. We have since found out that grubs are a problem here. As I've been digging around in my yard, I am most definitely finding quite a good number of grubs. I've seen grub killer that can be applied. I just put down some Scott's Weed & Feed several days ago and I'm wondering if that would cause any conflict with the grub killer. Any ideas? At first blush, I'd think it wouldn't be a conflict because the weed & feed is targeting weeds and grass rather than grubs but I'm not entirely sure. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best thing for grub worms is beneficial nematodes but the herbicides in the Weed & Feed will not interfere with the pesticides in the grub killer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found a package of 50 million nematodes on Scamazon for $35.00. How do I decide where to place them in my yard? I have an acre of grass to care for. My first thought is place some where I see dead spots in the yard that seem to grow larger with time. I think that's typically a good indication of grubs eating the grass roots, right?

UPDATE: It appears from looking into this further that I mix up a solution and apply it to my yard with a sprayer. I don't know how much lawn I can cover with this but I can start on the trouble areas at least.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found a package of 50 million nematodes on Scamazon for $35.00. How do I decide where to place them in my yard? I have an acre of grass to care for. My first thought is place some where I see dead spots in the yard that seem to grow larger with time. I think that's typically a good indication of grubs eating the grass roots, right?

UPDATE: It appears from looking into this further that I mix up a solution and apply it to my yard with a sprayer. I don't know how much lawn I can cover with this but I can start on the trouble areas at least.
When buying nematodes you MUST make sure that they are fresh and alive. I don't know how you can assure this when buying online. The one's that I buy come on a blue sponge and there are a million on it. I buy mine from a nursery and they are kept in a refrigerator.
It is best to water before AND after applying them. On your pump up sprayer you MUST remove the strainer/filter on the uptake hose. 50 million is enough to cover about 1/2 acre

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When buying nematodes you MUST make sure that they are fresh and alive. I don't know how you can assure this when buying online. The one's that I buy come on a blue sponge and there are a million on it. I buy mine from a nursery and they are kept in a refrigerator.
It is best to water before AND after applying them. On your pump up sprayer you MUST remove the strainer/filter on the uptake hose. 50 million is enough to cover about 1/2 acre

Good point. I do have a wonderful nursery just about two miles from me. It's the biggest nursery in Tennessee!! I bet they'd have some. They are usually my immediate go-to for supplies, but their prices are quite high compared to other resources. However, they DO have a lot of very knowledgeable people and a tremendous willingness to help! They also have seminars pert near every weekend about everything to do with gardening, landscaping, etc. I will check with them and see if I can get some nematodes from them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what the bird life is like in your part of the world, but one of the recommendations in one of my favourite veg growing books is to dig over where you are going to plant carrots several times, they are susceptible to grubs and this gives the birds the opportunity to clean them up for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have the June Bugs started flying around where you live? That dead grass was actually killed late last summer when the adult grubs were feeding. Now is the time for them to pupate and start flying around. These June Bugs will lay eggs and turn into grass root eating grubs. Young grub worms are the most damaging.

Ask a Question