Cutworms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyone have any cutworm damage this year?

So far I haven't yet. I put cut paper towel rolls around my plants.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
None here and don't normally see them. Several sources say that effective cultivating practices are the best prevention especially in the fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
None here and don't normally see them. Several sources say that effective cultivating practices are the best prevention especially in the fall.
That may be true because I had a problem last Spring in an area that has never been tilled up before. Area was tilled again the in Fall. Haven't seen them yet this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it depends on a couple of things. Timely cultivation and how heavy the moth flights are in the summer. Cutworms overwinter in the soil as young larvae and then in the spring start their damage, just in time for green bean planting. Cultivating during mid to late fall usually takes care of the greater percentage of them. If one has a lot of cutworms the best thing I have found for them is beneficial nematodes. If one sees moths on the soil in the summer you can just about guarantee a bunch of cutworms the following spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If one sees moths on the soil in the summer you can just about guarantee a bunch of cutworms the following spring.
I've never really looked for the moths laying on the soil before but sounds obvious. I'll keep an eye out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've never really looked for the moths laying on the soil before but sounds obvious. I'll keep an eye out.
You normally see them mainly in Sept where I live although I have seen them as late as late Oct. You will see them flying around and land on the soil to lay their eggs. They are a very nondescript medium sized grayish brownish moth.

Ask a Question