wiseowl

\friendly Owl
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
United Kingdom Hardiness Zone 8
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening and thank you for all your lovely comments my friends,they really are very much appreciated:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the love in the mist. I must try to find one. Deb
I do, too. That's the most unusual plant. Can you give us more information about it? Where does it grow? Annual or perennial? When does it bloom? Is it a shrub or a flower? More details, please!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Love in a mist (Nigella damascena) is a lovely plant. It's an annual that's extremely easy to grow and is self-seeding. You can sow the seeds in Spring through to early summer. They flower from early June through to the frosts - depending on how late you sow the seed. It prefers a dryish sunny site.

A packet of seed should be quite cheap as each flower head produces thousands of tiny seeds. Usually, once you have them in your garden they are there for as long as you want them. Collect the seeds when the pods have dried and sprinkle in early Spring. Any that you haven't picked will seed in situ.

The leaf formation is very pretty and the seed pods are attractive. A very rewarding plant.

This is what it looks like when the flower buds are just forming. You can see how the leaves give rise to the word 'mist' in the name.

P1170070.JPG

We have them all over our garden and never need to spread the seed around. The wind and wild life do it for us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It gets to just above knee height. Each upright stem is a different plant and they have the feathery leaves. So there must be a couple of hundred there. As each seed pod has thousands of seeds it's quite easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, I'm going shopping tomorrow and will keep an eye out for some of these beauties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmm, well ok, I'll keep an eye out for seeds. I haven't grown anything from seed yet so this might be a good time to start.

Ask a Question