Wood Ash?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always thought Wood Ash would slow down Compost but I was reading it will speed it up.

Now I'm wondering how much to put in my Compost?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always thought Wood Ash would slow down Compost but I was reading it will speed it up.

Now I'm wondering how much to put in my Compost?

big rockpile
Not very much as ash is very alkaline and probably contains salts as well. Wood ash is generally used in acidic soils at about 15 lbs per 1000 sq feet. So, in a compost pile or tumbler, not much at all and as far as speeding up the decomposition process, it is very very doubtful although in limited amounts it is beneficial to earthworms which do speed up the process. So, unless your soil acidic I wouldn't add any at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well its not like you are not aware of how many years it takes to regrow after a fire. Your question is more short term than what nature does. Your intent for production is different than natures intent as well. Sounds like you need to engage in naked gardening day and get in touch with nature.

Let them soak a year like compost.

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My 2 cents...
Wood ash can be beneficial to your compost pile as it's alkaline and contains nutrients like potassium and calcium. But it's important to use it sparingly to avoid raising the pH too much which can slow down composting.

Here's what i would recommend:

1. Add Sparingly - Aim for a light dusting on the surface of your compost pile, not exceeding 2% of the total volume.
  2. Mix Well - Integrate the ash thoroughly into the compost to prevent clumps and ensure even distribution.
  3. Monitor the Compost pH - If you can, check the pH of your compost after adding ash to maintain a pH of 6.5-7.5.
  4. Use Only Hardwood Ash - Ash from hardwoods is better as it's richer in nutrients than that from softwoods.
  5. Avoid Treated Woods (obvious, but have to mention) - Never use ash from treated, painted, or pressure-treated wood to prevent introducing harmful chemicals.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well its not like you are not aware of how many years it takes to regrow after a fire. Your question is more short term than what nature does. Your intent for production is different than natures intent as well. Sounds like you need to engage in naked gardening day and get in touch with nature.

Let them soak a year like compost.
Burned my Timber every year for the growth I got every year.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After the big storm of '87 I got a job with a tree surgeon friend clearing and replanting with young trees. Went back a year later and the trees we had planted were four foot or so, just getting established. Next to them in the bit we hadn't touched was a twenty foot high jungle of new growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My Sister says Ashes are a substitute for lime. This is why I think it will stop my Composting but she puts Ashes in her Compost.

big rockpile
Ashes have more nutrients than limestone. Limestone is mainly calcium, magnesium, carbon. I would just keep those in their own pile and use if needed instead of adding them to a compost pile.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I misunderstood my Sister but they was saying some Wood Ash is good and I only put one shovel full to a large bin of Compost.

The article also said Wood Ash can be used for Shampoo and Toothpaste.

Who comes up with this coming from a guy that burt all the skin and some meat off all his fingers messing with Wood Ash.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first proper girlfriend was from British Guiana, she said where she grew up in a small village they used wood ash to wash pans. It woks well, alkaline and slightly abrasive.
Hey, Rockpile, you are supposed to let the fire go out first.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My first proper girlfriend was from British Guiana, she said where she grew up in a small village they used wood ash to wash pans. It woks well, alkaline and slightly abrasive.
Hey, Rockpile, you are supposed to let the fire go out first.
One time I got the bright idea that Wood Ash would help with hair off a Deer hide.

I forgot about the part of washing it down with plain water and gloves.

Worked great. My hands felt cold so I went in and washed them.

Well that wasn't right my skin was coming off and some meat.

Went to the Doctors office. Oh he won't be here until two. That's OK isn't that bad. She says let me look. Oh you have sever chemical burns you be here at two.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really had to laugh last night. I was watching a gardening show. They was showing how to build a Compost Pile.

First he checks the bin, puts unshredded Leaves down, some green plants, then get Ashes.

big rockpile

Ask a Question