Wood ash in compost

Reaction score
Country
United States
I actively compost pulverized oak leaves mixed with coffee grounds. In the winter, I get a few buckets of ash from my fireplace. Is it OK to throw the ash in the compost?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I actively compost pulverized oak leaves mixed with coffee grounds. In the winter, I get a few buckets of ash from my fireplace. Is it OK to throw the ash in the compost?
Where you live the soil is very alkaline and adding ashes makes the soil even more so. Green oak leaves are very acidic but dead leaves and leaves that are breaking down are only slightly acidic to neutral. Coffee grounds are usually slightly acidic with a Ph of about 6.7 but depending on the coffee grounds can be neutral. In Boerne you need all of the acid you can get and hardwood ashes here have a Ph of about 10, so adding ashes is not a good thing at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Situational internet strikes again. I have acid clay and love ashes but I would not put them in compost while in the pile. I would mix them with soil. There in nothing left to eat in ashes so it would starve a pile actually since they are alive basically.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use wood ashes, if I have any, in my chickens dust bath too. It doesn't really seem to last long but they love it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I on't think so throwing ash in a compost is a good idea.

It depends a bit, ash from coal fires is not good, but wood ash is a good source of potash, good for flowering plants, and on the top of the compost heap it is unlikely to wash straight through. The OP was advised against it because it is alkaline, and he lives in an area with highly alkaline soil, that would not apply where I live, it is fairly acidic. Mine has gone on my garlic bed, garlic likes alkaline, but now they are starting to sprout it will go into the compost.

Ask a Question