Wisteria

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m quite a novice gardener, so don’t judge me too harshly 🫣but I planted 2 Wisteria and a star Jasmine all next to one another. Eek! My Wisteria Amethyst Falls is now spiralling around the main stem of my Wisteria Flribunda Rosea. Should I separate them? Or will they intertwine happily together? The Floribunda is a lot bigger, and has been in 2 years (not flowered yet) the Amethyst Falls is much smaller but has flowered last year. What should I do? Shall I move the Amethyst to a different place. They are both growing up the wall on my house. Any hep much appreciated 😳😊

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome

It's difficult to advise without seeing a photo to be aware of size and position.
Wisteria grow like weeds. But you can pretty much do what you like with them.

We've one I trained along a fence.

P1000569.JPG

One freestanding on a tall redundant bird feeder.

P1010234.JPG

Three on this pergola.

P1000174.JPG

Two on this one.

P1000225.JPG

and this growing along a side wall.

P1010221.JPG

You could separate them now and plant one elsewhere, they can be unwound, or you could leave them where they are unwind them a bit and train them to grow in opposite directions. It's really up to you.
Don't let too many side shoots grow out from near the root. I limited the one on our fence to four each side and the one on the wall to just one.

Ideally, side shoots should be pruned back to between two and four buds in January, which will produce the blossom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No more advice from me about your Wisteria, as it has been covered so very well by Sean, but just wanted to say hello and welcome to you from just across the river in Kent:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome

It's difficult to advise without seeing a photo to be aware of size and position.
Wisteria grow like weeds. But you can pretty much do what you like with them.

We've one I trained along a fence.

View attachment 102028

One freestanding on a tall redundant bird feeder.

View attachment 102029

Three on this pergola.

View attachment 102030

Two on this one.

View attachment 102031

and this growing along a side wall.

View attachment 102032

You could separate them now and plant one elsewhere, they can be unwound, or you could leave them where they are unwind them a bit and train them to grow in opposite directions. It's really up to you.
Don't let too many side shoots grow out from near the root. I limited the one on our fence to four each side and the one on the wall to just one.

Ideally, side shoots should be pruned back to between two and four buds in January, which will produce the blossom.
Thanks so much for your amazing advice and pics. You’ve definitely reassured me enough to leave them alone. I would send a pic, but it’s dark now. Might try tomorrow. Nice to be able to talk to people who know what they’re actually doing - unlike myself!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Louli, the one thing about gardening and gardeners is that we never know it all. I am fast approaching 80 and am learning new stuff all the time about growing things. The very best way to learn will be by making mistakes, so never beat yourself up about it. I have found that very often, just by handling plants, they actually ''tell'' me what they need. It is a great hobby, and was a main part of my work too for years!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all for the warm welcome & advice. I’m trying to add pictures of the Wisterias.
IMG_1391.jpeg
IMG_1390.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
That does seem tightly wound.
You may be able to withdraw the cane from it.

What I suggest you do it to install some lateral wires at the heights you want the wisteria to grow.
This is what I have for the wisteria on our side fence. It had no choice other than growing along the wires.
I never screw anything into fence panels, as sometimes they need to be replaced. So there are strong wires strung between large "eyes" screwed into the concrete posts at about a foot apart.
Those panels you see I replaced a couple of years ago. You just pull the old ones out and slide new ones in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I’m quite a novice gardener, so don’t judge me too harshly 🫣but I planted 2 Wisteria and a star Jasmine all next to one another. Eek! My Wisteria Amethyst Falls is now spiralling around the main stem of my Wisteria Flribunda Rosea. Should I separate them? Or will they intertwine happily together? The Floribunda is a lot bigger, and has been in 2 years (not flowered yet) the Amethyst Falls is much smaller but has flowered last year. What should I do? Shall I move the Amethyst to a different place. They are both growing up the wall on my house. Any hep much appreciated 😳😊
Hey there! No judgment at all – we all start somewhere, and mixing up plants is part of the gardening adventure! Your wisteria duo and star jasmine party sound like a beautiful combo, but with the Wisteria Amethyst Falls and Floribunda getting all cozy, you might wanna consider giving them a bit more personal space. Wisteria can get pretty wild and hefty as they grow, and they might not share the spotlight so gracefully, especially if one's already dominating the dance floor. Since your Floribunda is the big sibling in this scenario and hasn't shown off its flowers yet, it might appreciate not having to compete with the Amethyst Falls. Moving the Amethyst to its own spot could be a win-win, letting both wisterias flourish and strut their stuff without stepping on each other's toes. Plus, it'll save your wall from becoming a wisteria wrestling match. Keep nurturing that green thumb; your garden's gonna be epic! 😊🌿

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there! No judgment at all – we all start somewhere, and mixing up plants is part of the gardening adventure! Your wisteria duo and star jasmine party sound like a beautiful combo, but with the Wisteria Amethyst Falls and Floribunda getting all cozy, you might wanna consider giving them a bit more personal space. Wisteria can get pretty wild and hefty as they grow, and they might not share the spotlight so gracefully, especially if one's already dominating the dance floor. Since your Floribunda is the big sibling in this scenario and hasn't shown off its flowers yet, it might appreciate not having to compete with the Amethyst Falls. Moving the Amethyst to its own spot could be a win-win, letting both wisterias flourish and strut their stuff without stepping on each other's toes. Plus, it'll save your wall from becoming a wisteria wrestling match. Keep nurturing that green thumb; your garden's gonna be epic! 😊🌿
Thanks so much. I’m going to try and move it 👍🏻

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Bonjour, @Louli! Locally a man bought a one storey house. In the back of the house was a grand wisteria. The man had the wisteria cut completely away. It did not grow back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Wisteria are a bit unpredictable.
We had a huge white one on the pergola on the back of the house, that inexplicably died. We replaced it with a blue one as white wasn't available anywhere at the time.

PICT0057.JPG

When we moved into this house, there was one on the garage wall. When I built the koi pool in 1986, I trained it over the pergola I erected next to it.

It was a bit of a mess.

P5050054.JPG

Then seven years ago, that died, except for one branch which (the one with the bungee strap around it) I'd trained over the top of the fence between the garage and the house and along that pergola.

P1060736.JPG

I dug out the dead bits and later the dead bit half-way along this border.
There were some small branches from where it had self-rooted itself from branches touching the earth over the years.

The large branch that had survived had some rot on one side, which I scraped away, then covered the scar with silicone. In time, the bark grew back under the silicone, which eventually fell off.

P1060745.JPG

We bought a new white one to go in the middle of the border.

So now we have blue at each end and white in the middle.
I've trained them to "cascade"

The whiter flowers a week later than the blue

P1000260.JPG

The branch that I saved is now massive.

(The one in the corner of this bed I trained along the whole length of the side of our house.)

P1010619.JPG

It crosses with the blue one that grows up the other pergola support post

P1010620.JPG

Ask a Question