Wilted spider plant not recovering

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello,

I received a spider plant 10 days back which wasn't in a great shape - the roots were dangling from the drainage holes, some leaves were yellow and some had brown spots on the edges.
I watered it once it arrived and once a week later , but I noticed that the soil was not drying out fast enough. 2 days after watering the soil was very damp even on top. I wanted to dry it out faster so I put my plant outside, where it was cloudy and windy, for a couple of hours.
But my plant completely wilted outside by night. I repotted it because the roots were cramped in the previous pot. The root system was quite small compared to the plant's size but 2 tubers are healthy and white. I removed the rotten roots.

Please help, how do I revive this plant?
15929705205436475312214087971101.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cut back on watering - it sounds like it’s in a very heavy soil. It looks like your spider plant has new growth, so all hope is not lost yet. It may have been cool over night, which causes wilt. For the best chance of saving it, I would repot the plant in a lighter soil. Spider plants typically don’t mind to be a little wet at the roots when they’re rewatered, but there should never be standing water 2 days later. Try using a soil mix, either with perlite and sand or perlite and orchid bark to supplement your soil. This will help your plant drain faster and ensure the roots have oxygen so they don’t rot. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If the roots were cramped in the previous pot then it probably didn't get enough water and that's why it wilted. They like bright light and to stay moist, the closer you can come to that the better it will grow. They aren't real picky about soil, if it holds some water without staying soggy for weeks, they're fine, as long as they get proportional light. Wet/bright=good, wet/dark=bad

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi cpp gardener, unfortunately my plant died within 2 days after I posted my question. :( I was too late in realising there was a problem. Learning point, next time I get a spider plant I will be mindful of these points. Thank you :)

Ask a Question