Will a house (or room) full of plants really keep the air clean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is making the rounds again on Facebook. This time via Juicing Vegetables.

Check this out:

933871_505178966203981_376802024_n.jpg

1. Bamboo Palm: It removes formaldahyde and is also said to act as a natural humidifier.

2. Snake Plant: It absorbs nitrogen oxides and formaldahyde.

3. Areca Palm: One of the best air purifying plants for general air cleanliness.

4. Spider Plant: Great indoor plant for removing carbon monoxide and other toxins or impurities. Spider plants are one of three plants NASA deems best at removing formaldahyde from the air.

5. Peace Lily: Peace lilies could be called the “clean-all.” They’re often placed in bathrooms or laundry rooms because they’re known for removing mold spores. Also known to remove formaldahyde and trichloroethylene.

6. Gerbera Daisy: Not only do these gorgeous flowers remove benzene from the air, they’re known to improve sleep by absorbing carbon dioxide and giving off more oxygen over night.

I just got a small spider plant, already had a peace lily and I got a gerbera daisy day before yesterday. The daisy will live outdoors, but I'll have to start saving seeds and grow one indoors.

Reaction score
There are a bunch of plants that do help i the purification of air. However, it cannot make a huge difference from one plant. You would most likely need a couple of them around your house and the number would totally depend all on the size of your house. The only way I see that one plant can make a huge difference is if you were in a badly polluted city and keeping that plant near you during most of the day.

Reaction score
I think they certainly will. Naturally plants take in carbon dioxide of course and give us oxygen. There are though specific plants that are great at cleansing the atmosphere, and some others that are not so great. I think it pays to research first.

Reaction score
Thanks for the list of plants! They all look robust enough to survive under my care, except for maybe number 5. :p

Reaction score
Thanks for the list, Chanell G. I love peace lilies. When I move, I'm planning to buy some indoor plants. All of the plants that are listed as air cleaners, also happen to be gorgeous and decorative. I used to have an indoor peace lily that I gave away because my ex had a phobia that indoor plants were dirty and full of bugs and pests.
I guess it's time to get another peace lily.

Reaction score
I have post nasal drip from allergies and I have an Oreck air cleaner that works great, but I'm wondering if plants could do the same thing. Also, if the level of oxygen is high enough it might provide some additional health benefits like increased energy.

Is this realistic or would it take a ton of plants to really benefit?

Sorry to hear about your allergies. I've suffered a similar problem myself! Have you tried something called Yamoa? This is sold on the internet, and works wonders for asthma and allergies. There have been a few newspaper articles about it in the past. I see some lovely plants have been recommended. I hope you get better soon :)

Reaction score
Plants do help keep the air clean and provide oxygen in your home. Some are more efficient then others and the picture that is posted here shows those varieties. They also keep the humidity in your home up so you do not suffer so much from dry nasal passages. Hopefully, you can find a mix of plants that you enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Indoor plants collect dust because most people don't think to clean them.I agree that the plants will probably make your alleries worse, especially if you have pollen allergies.

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the list of plants. I will have to check them out. I want to make sure they are not poisonous to cats! Does anyone know?

Reaction score
I was told recently that just one house plant can clean the ar within 100 feet of itself! I got this information from a reputable site so I assume it is true! I love having plants indoors as well as outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My basement gets pretty musty. I definitely think having some plants down there gets the air circulating. Since I added a few plants I think overall the air is fresher, then before I had any.

Unfortunately I don’t have much light so I can’t grow much.

Ask a Question