Wild onion

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I was out cutting the grass last night and noticed that it smelt a lot like the fair. I have a wild onion (garlic) infestation on my hands. Has anyone dealt with this? I found a really good article from Clemson University and it doesn't look good. Can take up to 2 years to kill it off? I saw a whole list of chemicals you can use, and I think even Lyme? I do t know even know where this stuff came from, I can not remeber seeing any of it last summer/winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Jamie, I think the wild onions are also known as "ramp" and are considered a good spring green. Perhaps someone in the southeast can expand on "ramp".
We have wild onions, and we just let them alone. They slowly disappear after a few mows of the lawn and barn lot. The hens avoid the onions--they have such delicate palates! We haven't eaten any either.
This site may help explain "ramps" or wild onions:
http://www.eater.com/2015/4/10/8384255/everything-youve-always-wanted-to-know-about-ramps

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well they really don't bother me, but i am afraid they might choke out my grass and because they are a number plant I am pretty sure if I don't get rid of them they are going to take over my yard. I have 8 acres so I know I can't get rid of them all, but I would like to get rid of the ones close to the house. I think I might try putting some Lyme down and then drenching it with water. From what I read Lyme will change the ph of the soil to a balance they don't like. I guess I will have to wait until November, the article said to put it down on November and than again in March.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you mean what we call wild garlic here? If so, here in the south east of the UK - and especially in the village where I live, this plant has colonised the entire village, and grows freely in the woods.
I only have about four acres here - but sufficient to use a tractor mower for cutting the grass. I find that very regular mowing gets rid of any wild garlic that wants to invade, successfully.
We just learned to live with the plant, and use it in cooking.
I do not consider that the addition of lime will make any difference, in fact our ground is extremely chalky - the wild garlic loves it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Jamie, I think the wild onions are also known as "ramp" and are considered a good spring green. Perhaps someone in the southeast can expand on "ramp".
We have wild onions, and we just let them alone. They slowly disappear after a few mows of the lawn and barn lot. The hens avoid the onions--they have such delicate palates! We haven't eaten any either.
This site may help explain "ramps" or wild onions:
http://www.eater.com/2015/4/10/8384255/everything-youve-always-wanted-to-know-about-ramps
That was my first thought when I read this thread, ramps...

Ramps are popular in the SE, and many that hike the Appalachian trail forage them for a seasoning to add to their meals. There are many festivals in the SE dedicated to ramps, a couple examples: http://www.mtrogersvfd-rs.com/ramp-festival

http://ramptrampfestival.com/

http://visitncsmokies.com/event/84th-annual-ramp-festival/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, call it ramps in the USA or wild garlic in the UK , it seems that we mean the same. All the more reason then to try to use the Latin title for plants to avoid confusion across the globe. :geek:...In this case "Allium tricoccum"

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks everyone, I actually love the smell after a fresh cut of the grass. I guess I'll just wait and see how many more grow in this summer. Maybe re evaluate this fall

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I woke up this morning and saw this in my front yard, looks like oil or paint but it wipes clean off the grass blade. Google says it's mild or some kind of fungus. I haven't mowed the grass in a while, wonder if it's holding moisture longer and caused this. Is this something I need to worry about? I was planning on cutting the grass this morning.
Thanks
Jamie

Ask a Question