Can you use wild onions when cooking?

Reaction score
Can you use wild onions when you cook? Do they have the same flavor as pearl onions? When would be the best time to harvest them? They are overtaking what little grass I do have established, but I don't want to waste them if they are edible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you use wild onions when you cook? Do they have the same flavor as pearl onions? When would be the best time to harvest them? They are overtaking what little grass I do have established, but I don't want to waste them if they are edible.
If they are truly wild onions they are great to eat any way you like. They have more of a garlicy taste than regular onions. There is as plant here in Texas that looks just like an onion but is not edible called Crow Poison. As far as when to pick them any time is good. But growing in your grass? Be careful. Wild onions usually grow in damp places like ditches. Dig one up and take a pic of it

Reaction score
:D My yard is a veritable mud pit right now. We had to have so much grading done when we got our new home and it has rained quite a bit. I live in South Carolina and I don't know if we have Crow Poison here. What does it look like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:D My yard is a veritable mud pit right now. We had to have so much grading done when we got our new home and it has rained quite a bit. I live in South Carolina and I don't know if we have Crow Poison here. What does it look like?
When still in the ground it looks very much like what you know as green onions in the grocery store. When you dig one up the bulb will be round about the size of a marble and when you smash it it will not smell like onion or garlic. Not much of an odor at all. When left alone they will turn into a rather pretty white wildflower. I think another name for it is Spring or Day Lilly

Reaction score
Oh no! We used to pull these up all the time and all you can smell is onion! It's the same when you cut the grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh no! We used to pull these up all the time and all you can smell is onion! It's the same when you cut the grass.
Then if it looks like an onion, smells like an onion and tastes like an onion it is a watermellon and delicious no matter how you prepare it. When I lived in East Texas we had them all over the place. I would put them in salads, in a crockpot with a roast, all kinds of ways that you would a normal onion Now I am in an alkaline semi-desert and they don't grow here. Got lots of crow poison though.

Reaction score
I'm not to sure what you mean when you say wild onions. I thought there were only two types; white and red. I mostly use white onions to make dishes and use red onions with vinegar as a side to those dishes. What specifically are you referring to when you say wild?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not to sure what you mean when you say wild onions. I thought there were only two types; white and red. I mostly use white onions to make dishes and use red onions with vinegar as a side to those dishes. What specifically are you referring to when you say wild?
I don't know where you are located at but there are wild onions all over the south. They look a lot like the green onions you buy in the store, but they grow uninhibited in ditches, yards, anywhere there is enough water etc. As far as onions go there are many many hybrids in white yellow red and purple as well as long day and short day varieties

Reaction score
I live at the North Carolina/South Carolina border at bottom of the mountains. There are many food sources that are native and grow wild here. When we aren't in the middle of a drought you almost don't have to go to the grocery store.

Reaction score
my friend lives in North Carolina. her grandma visited from Italy and went on a walk, she came back with loads of edible wild stuff. I must learn her ways lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wild onions aare great, and what is even better is that they are free food! I would love to be able to scour the forest in search of a whole produce bin of wild veggies, but I haven't quite learned what all the edibles are yet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For
Wild onions aare great, and what is even better is that they are free food! I would love to be able to scour the forest in search of a whole produce bin of wild veggies, but I haven't quite learned what all the edibles are yet
For Christmas I'm getting a book on edible wild plants of Tennessee.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have what smells like an onion in the yard but when I pulled it up and tried to cook with it it was not an onion. I have not pulled up anymore of those plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They grow wild in my lawn and I'll pull them up and add them to a soup or mix them in with my mashed potatoes, I like the taste better than a regular onion.

Ask a Question