Wild Geranium (Geranium maculatum)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
they say that the dandelions are the first for the bees in the spring.

I would say hellebores or even winter jasmine! I have seen quite a few round my hellebores. Esther, hope you're going to show us your hellebores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Agree @alp , we've had them around our Helllebores........even had Butterflies flitting about this week. Just hope they all find somewhere snug for the temperature drop this weekend.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps in the States, the temperature is different from ours and dandelions come out earlier than ours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
many people have dandelions, if they want them or not. so "they" say that the bees need them first in spring, to keep people from killing the dandelions before the bloom to help with the bee population. Sometime a general announcement to folks has to take note to others. Not all are gardeners, who have other things for the bees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB, can you explain that chart? I'm in the dark green, NW Florida.

The dark green means the plant is native to at least part of your state. The bright green shows which individual counties the plant is native to. Here's the full color key:

colorkey.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never seen the plant (in the OP) in my yard, but I do have its close relative that grows wild in my yard:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geranium_carolinianum

The main difference I can see off hand is that it doesn't grow as big and its flowers are much smaller at about 6mm in diameter.

Yes, Carolina Geranium is native to Wisconsin as well. It has a much smaller and less showy flower compared to Wild Geranium. I've seen them grow as tall as Wild Geranium, but never as full.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is the scented geranium just as good as the wild geranium?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
hardy geraniums, the actual flower does not have a smell. however the leaves do. I have not smelled the wild ones, will try to remember to do that when they appear.
I have some wild geranium growing in my wooded area, but I never smelled it either in fact I didn't even know about the scented geraniums until my son brought home a cutting from school. I guess they could be the same thing but I'm not sure

Ask a Question