Why won't it grow?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello everyone,
In my garden, I am growing a wide variety of herbs like rosemary, thyme, and parsley. All have been extremely successful, except for my basil. I am not sure what I did, I have tried to grow it twice now. I live in a cold climate and my herbs are all outside; despite this, all of my herbs have all done great, except basil. Both times it has been sweet basil. What is going on, is it me or my basil? They are both dead now and I am wondering whether it's worth getting a third.

Ostrodamus

Mercenary turned gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you're planting from seed, I would suggest trying a new packet. I had that problem this season with both my cilantro and chives. I had a 100% failure rate for both across multiple seed trays, but when I switched to a different packet, I achieved immediate success.

Also, I learned this year that I was attempting to plant my basil when it was too cold (only 3 survived out of 16) for the first batch but have astounding success right now on batch #2 now that it is warmer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since you mentioned living in a cold climate, this could be a significant factor. Basil is sensitive to cold temperatures and doesn't tolerate frost well. If your area experiences cool nights or dips in temperature, especially below 50°F (10°C), basil plants can struggle or even die. Basil needs plenty of sunlight to grow well. It typically requires at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight daily. If your basil plants were not getting enough sunlight, they may have grown weak and eventually died. Look here for a complete guide https://www.almanac.com/plant/basil

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
@Ostrodamus
I'm starting to think the same thing now with the packets. Currently, it's winter over here so would that be too cold to start from a new packet? Do herbs normally live through winter? Lately, my other herbs have been dying and I though you could still harvest them through the winter, is that true?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought all herbs were tough
No, very varied. Look at the stems, rosemary and thyme are woody plants, parsley and basil fleshy. It is worth looking up where they grow naturally, thyme, for example, grows on dry, gravelly soil that has cold water from snow melt running under it. That makes it pretty tough, but would kill basil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, very varied. Look at the stems, rosemary and thyme are woody plants, parsley and basil fleshy. It is worth looking up where they grow naturally, thyme, for example, grows on dry, gravelly soil that has cold water from snow melt running under it. That makes it pretty tough, but would kill basil.
I have some Parsley and it says Biannual????

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Parsley can be a pain to germinate, but will germinate well from self sown seed. Worth keeping a plant in a pot so you can place it to flower and drop seed where you want it next year.
It is a biannual, the first year it only produces leaves, second year it flowers, like foxgloves.
I don't know about in the States, but English supermarkets sell various herbs rooted. They have been grown under lights and usually a whole bunch of young plants from seed. They separate fairly easily and soon fill out if you plant them out separately. A nice cheap way of doing it.

Ask a Question