Almonds won't grow in Texas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are experimental gardeners--trying almost anything that catches our fancy. We were told by locals, "experts", and passersby that "almonds won't grow in Texas." Last year my dear patient husband spent two hours at the garden table, shelling almonds.
Here are the almonds that aren't growing this year:
Almonds.jpg

This photo was taken this morning. I think the almonds are going to not grow again this year. Husband may have to spend more time at the garden table, whacking almonds!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thank you, Sheal. We have found that "it won't grow here" means "I don't want to do the work". Gardening is fun, recreational, and so much more rewarding culinarily than golf!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd find anything much more rewarding than golf. :) The Masters at Augusta is an exception though, not for the golf but for all the beautiful Azaleas and Rhododendrons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are experimental gardeners--trying almost anything that catches our fancy. We were told by locals, "experts", and passersby that "almonds won't grow in Texas." Last year my dear patient husband spent two hours at the garden table, shelling almonds.
Here are the almonds that aren't growing this year:
View attachment 51989

This photo was taken this morning. I think the almonds are going to not grow again this year. Husband may have to spend more time at the garden table, whacking almonds!
Great to hear almond trees will grow in Texas! I would love to grow my own. Did you plant Mission & Halls Hardy? Is there any special treatment they require in Texas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason almond trees are not recommended for texas is the frost timing when the trees bloom. Many Almond trees will bloom and a freeze or a hard frost will kill the nuts before they set. However 'Mission' and 'Hall's Hardy' are varieties that will bloom after Texas's last frosts. You made it this year and last years because of the warmer Winters. A frost or a freeze will get you sooner or later but good luck./

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Beesandblossoms, we have two Hall's Hardy almond trees, and planted them about six years ago. They have withstood 20 degree weather, strong winds, my inept pruning and people trying to convince us they are really peach trees (if so, you could break a tooth on that "peach").
Oneeye, thanks for the encouraging words: A frost or a freeze will get you sooner or later. That's really cheering.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning! How are your almond trees doing after our storm in February. I want to plant some, but now I’m even more apprehensive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Andrea, our almond trees bloomed and are well leafed-out. Plant Hall's--they can take Texas weather.
Don't be apprehensive. If it isn't planted, it won't grow and produce. Fear never produced any fruit, flower, or vegetable! Heaven knows, we have had huge failures, but also some successes. Give it a go!

Ask a Question