who knows potatoes

Reaction score
This is my first year growing potatoes I planted both sweet potatoes and new. The sweet potatoes have a nice purple vine growing the question is how do I know when to harvest them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first year growing potatoes I planted both sweet potatoes and new. The sweet potatoes have a nice purple vine growing the question is how do I know when to harvest them
You can dig around and harvest them anytime. When they freeze back you will probably find an extra jumbo giant size one in there someplace

Reaction score
You can dig around and harvest them anytime. When they freeze back you will probably find an extra jumbo giant size one in there someplace
Any idea of how tall the sprouts should be mine stand around 6 inches tall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any idea of how tall the sprouts should be mine stand around 6 inches tall
They will resemble a squash plant but much longer and with smallr leaves. I have had vines 15' long and about 1' - 2' tall and 4' wide. If they start to take over you can cut them back and they will get bushier.

Reaction score
Ok my next question is.. Should I continue adding soil to them as they get taller
They will resemble a squash plant but much longer and with smallr leaves. I have had vines 15' long and about 1' - 2' tall and 4' wide. If they start to take over you can cut them back and they will get bushier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok my next question is.. Should I continue adding soil to them as they get taller
I never did because the plants are so big. Their little feeder roots go all over the place. They don't need much of anything except a good soaking about once a week. Mulching helps a lot in keeping down weeds and keeping the soil moist

Reaction score
I never did because the plants are so big. Their little feeder roots go all over the place. They don't need much of anything except a good soaking about once a week. Mulching helps a lot in keeping down weeds and keeping the soil moist
Thanks for all of your help is it too late to put a few more in the ground

Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably too late for adding more potatoes. Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing a great job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
We waited until the purple vine leaves had total ground cover. Once they turn golden yellow is optimum time for yanking the plants (so I have been told.) It works for us. In a 4x3 plot in the ground we yielded about 70lbs worth. One in particular was the size of a newborn. Oh and if you cut in the potatoes at harvest and white stuff pours own, don't panic. It's a type of syrup from very succulent sweet potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would love to be able to grow potatoes as we eat a lot of them around my home. They sound like they are easy enough to grow and do not require much care. I may try and grow some once I get a big enough garden.

Reaction score
I harvest my sweet potatoes in the fall, around the time of the first frost. I end up with all sizes of potatoes. I keep the vines trimmed back and eat the leaves when I trim them. The leaves are great, taste a bit like spinach. You may still have time to plant more, depending on your climate and the variety you are planting. Once I plant mine I really don't mess with them till harvest, other then trimming the vines when the try to take over.

Ask a Question