White spots on Key lime trees

Reaction score
Country
United States
We grew two key lime trees from seeds. They are now about 3 years old. A few weeks ago they started developing white spots on some leaves and some of the new shoots died off. We live in Southern California and keep them in pots outside year round and they've been growing fine so far.
Any suggestions what could be wrong/what to do about it would be much welcomed.

IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1207.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Were you able to discover what was wrong? My leaves look identical to your photos and I stumbled across your question searching for answers but I cannot seem to find any information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The first plants look like they got moved from a shady spot to a much sunnier spot and got sunburned. Post some pictures of ours so we can diagnose what’s going on with yours.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Wouldn't worry too much. Prune off the dead growth and make sure the plant is watered well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OP here, in the end we didn't do anything and they recovered nicely.

In general, they've been extremely resilient. We forgot to water them for weeks and it was super hot this summer so they almost died, one was completely dried up. But it came back. Had to prune it back significantly as most of it was dead but it's now super healthy.

I don't know how long it'll take till we get some fruits (if ever, as they were grown from seeds) but they are doing very well.

Ask a Question