White spots on money tree/pachira aquatica

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I purchased a money tree from Homebase about 4 weeks ago. It has been in the same place at home, not in direct sunlight and at a pretty constant temperature. I've watered her once a week by sitting her in water for 2 hours then lifting her out. Last week for the first time I added in a couple of drops of Baby Bio Houseplant Food. She's had glossy and upright leaves with a good amount of new growth.

For the past few days she's looked a bit droopy and I noticed some faint white spots on most of the leaves. After a little google I went with 1tsp of bicarb in a litre of water and wiped the leaves with this. If anything - now the white spots are more obvious.
I also took my microscope to the soil and roots - only found a couple of tiny critters - no infestation found. No bugs at all on the leaves.

Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,944
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm.... have continued to google and the only similar looking spots I can find are just water marks, which if this is the case would be very good news!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @FloralEms, welcome to the forums :)

I think your plant has the start of powdery mildew, and have found an RHS link for you to look at.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @FloralEms, welcome to the forums :)

I think your plant has the start of powdery mildew, and have found an RHS link for you to look at.

Hello Tetters, thank you for your reply!
I had wondered this too but am not entirely convinced, think I may treat it as though it does have powdery mildew and hope for the best....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That would be much better than leaving it until it gets bad - not a good way to be convinced ;)

Ask a Question