When should Peonies come up?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased and planted a few Peony bare roots last fall (mid fall if I remember correctly). As far as I know, I followed the instructions on the packet quite properly. These were bought from Peony's Envy. So far, nothing has emerged above ground - I live in zone 5 (southern Wisconsin). When should I look for some activity?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ours have already came up and have blooms on them but they haven't opened yet. My neighbor has a different colored one that is behind schedule of mine. Theirs is still in the growing stalks stage.

Ours start coming up right after you see henbit blooming purple and about the time the redbuds bloom out and when the dandelion flowers turn white. That should give you a general time frame.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well we're a bit further up north, and the dandelions are barely beginning to show: no flowers yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Did the planting instructions indicate if the peonies would flower in Mid Spring or in Late Spring?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In response to the flowering period question, I had actually planted 3 peonies. 2 were herbacious (from Peony's Envy). One marked mid-season bloomer & the other late-season. The 3rd peony was from K. van Bourgondien and it was a tree peony, which is indicated as May-Jun bloomer. There is no activity above ground on any of the 3 so far.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I'd mention that the shoots started coming up a couple of weeks ago, so maybe I was worrying too early. It's very nice to see them emerge and they are already a good 6-10" high now for the herbaceous ones, and starting to bush out a bit on the woody variety.

I just hope the bunnies don't decide to try them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow your bush is way behind ours. Our blooms are falling off at this point.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yum - From what I understand, it depends on which zone you live as well as plant variety. There are some early season bloomers and some that bloom later, but I don't have much expectation of blooms as this is a new root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My plant came from my mamaws plant and I'm in my mid 40's so it is an old variety. It has white blooms.

Ask a Question