Should I get saucers for my pots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on putting pots (20L) around the border of my garden on top of the grass since I can't plant in the ground. As long as they have holes in the bottom will they be okay or should I get some saucers to put underneath them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've done that before and the only thing bad that happened was that the roots of the container plant grew into the soil and made the plants impossible to move without damaging them. If you don't plan on ever moving them it would be a great thing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done that before and the only thing bad that happened was that the roots of the container plant grew into the soil and made the plants impossible to move without damaging them. If you don't plan on ever moving them it would be a great thing.
I plan on having annuals (cosmos, globe thistle, mini sunflowers) and perennials (salvia, echinacea) that I can move around each year, so maybe saucers would be a good idea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I plan on having annuals (cosmos, globe thistle, mini sunflowers) and perennials (salvia, echinacea) that I can move around each year, so maybe saucers would be a good idea
With the annuals it shouldn't make any difference but with the perennials it would. Sooner or later you will have to do something with the perennials anyway as they will eventually outgrow a 20L pot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the annuals it shouldn't make any difference but with the perennials it would. Sooner or later you will have to do something with the perennials anyway as they will eventually outgrow a 20L pot.
What pot size would you suggest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What pot size would you suggest?
I would wait until the perennials were becoming rootbound and then get a larger pot. But the larger the pot the harder it is to move around. It will be quite some time before the salvia's become root bound so I wouldn't worry about now. I don't know about the other perennial and how its roots develope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Skip the saucers. When you need to move them just cut the roots and make sure to water them well when they get to where they‘re going. Expect some wilting for awhile, until they root in again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Skip the saucers. When you need to move them just cut the roots and make sure to water them well when they get to where they‘re going. Expect some wilting for awhile, until they root in again.
I had my saucers so I only need to water once per week across our hot summer. I use those felt grow bags sometimes. I have about 20 of the 7 gallon but bought some 15 gallon this year. I really want to fallow some garden areas and then dump the soil there in the fall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm planning on putting pots (20L) around the border of my garden on top of the grass since I can't plant in the ground. As long as they have holes in the bottom will they be okay or should I get some saucers to put underneath them?
I plant on cement or metal racks off the floor. I would put a flat wide big concrete block underneath your pot. Now im not sure how big 20 liters is but, it would have to be bigger than your pot slightly. So, if or when you put plenty small holes though your pot. The water can just rush away from the pot. Rather than create more of a muddy environment. An you can see when the water is coming out on the flat concrete block or square. That's just an idea, if you don't have a spot with concrete. but also the saucer restricts air flow in my experience. I prefer airflow underneath the pot for air to roots helping dry the pot. But, I use multiple ways of growing :) concrete that looks like this you its a big flat square put your pot under it. If you have any laying around or something you got around your home might work too.
20230314_153246~2.jpg
20230325_165500.jpg
20230325_165536.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I plant on cement or metal racks off the floor. I would put a flat wide big concrete block underneath your pot. Now im not sure how big 20 liters is but, it would have to be bigger than your pot slightly. So, if or when you put plenty small holes though your pot. The water can just rush away from the pot. Rather than create more of a muddy environment. An you can see when the water is coming out on the flat concrete block or square. That's just an idea, if you don't have a spot with concrete. but also the saucer restricts air flow in my experience. I prefer airflow underneath the pot for air to roots helping dry the pot. But, I use multiple ways of growing :) concrete that looks like this you its a big flat square put your pot under it. If you have any laying around or something you got around your home might work too. View attachment 95001View attachment 94999View attachment 95000
I notice some plants like a nice even moisture and do well at the edge of stones or concrete steps. I surmise that should small brick size pavers be used the roots might grow down through the drains and cracks and under the stones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I notice some plants like a nice even moisture and do well at the edge of stones or concrete steps. I surmise that should small brick size pavers be used the roots might grow down through the drains and cracks and under the stones.
There's also hanging pots that are pretty cool. I hope to try one day. I've never had that issue with roots. But, I suppose it could be possible, but I would be more worried about the concrete getting hot an stressing or burning the plants roots. From the heat from the sun absorbed by the concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guess you know what a cheap skate I am by now, and saucers are v expensive for what they are.
Take a piece of old hose, wrap it around the bottom of the pot and cut to that length. Stick a short piece of stick in either end to make it a circle, lay it where you want the pot, place a plastic bag (Without holes in) over it, stand the pot on the bag so it is pushed down into the ring of hose. Cut off the excess plastic bag all the way around.
The other thing I do is buy old dinner plates from charity shops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guess you know what a cheap skate I am by now, and saucers are v expensive for what they are.
Take a piece of old hose, wrap it around the bottom of the pot and cut to that length. Stick a short piece of stick in either end to make it a circle, lay it where you want the pot, place a plastic bag (Without holes in) over it, stand the pot on the bag so it is pushed down into the ring of hose. Cut off the excess plastic bag all the way around.
The other thing I do is buy old dinner plates from charity shops.
I like to garden with little to no money. An take care not to lose all my gardening supplies from years back. Comes in handy when you really really need to make something like support for a plant or something. This is going to be one of my biggest grow seasons to date. So, super excited for this season.
I think you mean "cheap scape" not cheap skate lol I use to always say that too. :)

Ask a Question