What's this and what's wrong ?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yep. I did a little googling and it seems the gulf stream is keeping ALL of Scotland as much as 15°F warmer than it other wise would be in those latitudes. Match it with, say, Hudson's Bay.

So I guess the West coast perhaps benefits more than the whole of Scotland but perhaps not as significantly so as I thought: I've had the wrong idea.

Thanks for the maps link. I am a bit of a map/map site collector in a very small way. Nice to have the link, the source.
:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I checked out the latitude and longitude of both places.

Hudson's Bay: Latitude 60 00' 0.00" N Longitude - 85 00' W
Inverness: Latitude 57 28' 40" N Longitude 4 13' 29" W

Ah, but don't be fooled by the Gulf Stream @abrogard. :) I never check what effect it's having but do check what the Jet Stream is up to regularly. That's a whole different ball game here. A link for you below which can be animated....

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal is right, the British Isles would freeze up if it wasn't for the Gulf Stream bringing warmer water and air up from the tropics. Back in 2010 some of our harbours iced up, which isn't usual. There was no reason given on mainstream media so I joined a scientific forum where they were saying the Gulf Stream had changed course and gone the wrong side of Greenland :eek: Leaving us open to much lower temperatures.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's very impressive. What an excellent site. So what's the upshot? That the jetstream is much predominant or what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the Jet Stream dictates our weather and as you see it's not good at the moment - but we are coming into winter. Before climate change worsened the Jet Stream was more settled and flowed pretty much as a stream, which in turn meant things remained fairly settled over longer periods of time. Now it's just a broken, wild stream and we don't really know from one day to the next what the weather is going to be.

Ask a Question