1a
Country
United Kingdom
The hawthorn is out early this year.
20240418_150933.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a mild winter and spring for the blossom.
The old wives tale is that you shouldn't take your vest off until the hawthorn blooms - maybe it'll get a bit warmer - hope so....... oh yes, and don't bring the blossom into the house, it will bring illness and death!!!!
Did you know that the fairies live under the hawthorn? It is supposed to be the gateway between the worlds 😯

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The old wives tale is that you shouldn't take your vest off until the hawthorn blooms - maybe it'll get a bit warmer - hope so....... oh yes, and don't bring the blossom into the house, it will bring illness and death!!!!
Yes i knew about that :)
Sometimes i still wear my woolly hat with the walks.
Did you know that the fairies live under the hawthorn? It is supposed to be the gateway between the worlds 😯
No i didn't.:eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's a Hawthorn in Glastonbury church yard that flowers at Christmas. Legend has it that it grew from the staff of Joseph of Aramathea (possibly Jesus's uncle?) who visited Somerset from The Holy Land on business.

It's been vandalised (once being cut down by the roundheads) a few times over the years but there has always been someone around the town who had a cutting to replace it with.

A blossom is cut and used to be given to the Queen every Christmas ( who didn't want it on account of it being unlucky).

When botanists had a closer look at it they worked out it was a variety from the Middle East.

Jesus may have visited Somerset as a child with his Uncle, this inspired a poem by William Blake best known as the song "Jerusalem" (And did those feet in ancient times, walk upon Englands mountains green")

I've seen this Hawthorn in flower in December, it looks like it would rather be somewhere a lot warmer.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's lovely Lifegardener :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question