Whats eating my strawberries?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of damage is this? Not birds, they’re well protected with netting and it doesn’t look like bird damage. I don’t see any slug or snail slime. It’s always at the base too, not at the tip. It’s not spittlebugs or any animal.
What kind of bug and how can I prevent it? For now, I just sprayed my berries with peppermint oil water because most bugs don’t like that.

Attachments

• 920CA63B-E263-4139-9755-8087E83F6D68.jpeg
    920CA63B-E263-4139-9755-8087E83F6D68.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've had the same problem with my strawberries before. Never did find the culprit. Slugs were my best guess but I couldn't catch them in the act so still dont know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We had that problem last year too. Hard to believe slugs as ours were in pots on a wooden bench. No trace of slug trails. I had assumed birds, but never saw birds near them. We never figured it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've had the same problem with my strawberries before. Never did find the culprit. Slugs were my best guess but I couldn't catch them in the act so still dont know.
On a side note those berries were in the ground. This year they are hanging in baskets and that hasn't happened anymore. Still get a little anthracnose rot though but not near as bad as in the ground.

Ask a Question