whats eating my red cabbage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
As the title says. What's eating my red cabbage? Also what can I use to control it organically. I have been dusting the plants with DE thinking it may be slugs. However the feast continues and I don't see what's doing it. Any ideas? Thanks
IMG_20150709_140653.jpg
IMG_20150709_140648.jpg
IMG_20150709_140653.jpg
IMG_20150709_140648.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As the title says. What's eating my red cabbage? Also what can I use to control it organically. I have been dusting the plants with DE thinking it may be slugs. However the feast continues and I don't see what's doing it. Any ideas? Thanks View attachment 7825View attachment 7826View attachment 7825 View attachment 7826
I would bet that if you looked closely on the underside of the leaves you would see little bitty tiny green caterpilars called cabbage loopers. They are easily controlled with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis). Either that or tiny black beetles controlled by spinosad, but more than likely it is loopers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The good news is that, since the hearts remain, if you can control the predators, your cabbages should recover pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks and you are 100% correct..I found a ton of tiny green caterpillars all over them..I had some BT here from years ago.so I sprayed them..Now from what I read, the caterpillars have to ingest the BT for it to work and can take up to 5 days, so meanwhile the feast continues..So I picked as many of them off as I could find.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks and you are 100% correct..I found a ton of tiny green caterpillars all over them..I had some BT here from years ago.so I sprayed them..Now from what I read, the caterpillars have to ingest the BT for it to work and can take up to 5 days, so meanwhile the feast continues..So I picked as many of them off as I could find.
In my experience caterpillars will stop feeding immediately after ingesting and will be dead in 12 hours. I don't know if Bt has a shelf life of years or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks Chuck and your right..Went out just now and they are all dead and I am happy! so yes it does appear BT does have a great shelf life!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to know that Chuck has given you some great advices and you have saved your red cabbage. My mint this year looks like this too, and I will have to rectify them. It is sad looking at the moment.

Ask a Question