What to plant in my planter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strange shaped garden, which steadily reaches a point, where two fence panels meet. I’ve made a planter to go here but don’t know what to plant. The planter never sees direct sunlight. The planter is about 40cm deep and 60cm wide at the front. Ideally I’m looking for a plant/shrub, which is evergreen and possibly flowers at some point during the year but is generally quite nice looking year round. It can grow to maybe 5-6 feet. Any advice would be very welcome. Was thinking possibly a Skimmia Japonica (Dad’s Red Dragon)? Thank you.

8AC27414-F33E-4B2B-BBDA-E436D10C07A3.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Will J :) That is a very smart planter! If you plant a Skimmia, you will need to use ericaceous compost, and it might take ages to cover up the fence.

I think I would either plant a Honeysuckle and a goldheart Ivy with a rose in front, .....or a Chusan palm with space in front for some small flowers (if that`s more to taste)
As another alternative, you could put a bamboo in there - quite honestly, the list is endless.

Actually, Parthenocissus is a very good climber for a shady spot and would make a brilliant backdrop for any other plants in front.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Will J :) That is a very smart planter! If you plant a Skimmia, you will need to use ericaceous compost, and it might take ages to cover up the fence.

I think I would either plant a Honeysuckle and a goldheart Ivy with a rose in front, .....or a Chusan palm with space in front for some small flowers (if that`s more to taste)
As another alternative, you could put a bamboo in there - quite honestly, the list is endless.

Actually, Parthenocissus is a very good climber for a shady spot and would make a brilliant backdrop for any other plants in front.

Thanks for your kind comment about my planter and thanks for replying. I’ll take a look at all your suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need to work out a theme if you`re working with a blank canvas. I thought you might like to look at this

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Since it will be potted you can use any evergreen tree you like that tolerates shade. I’ve had a cedar tree in a pot for about ten years (think large bonsai). I under planted with a small evergreen fern, a few spring bulbs, sedums and lewisia. I have found I do need to lift the plantings every few years and add soil to the bottom of the container as even the lightest of soils will settle over time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since it will be potted you can use any evergreen tree you like that tolerates shade. I’ve had a cedar tree in a pot for about ten years (think large bonsai). I under planted with a small evergreen fern, a few spring bulbs, sedums and lewisia. I have found I do need to lift the plantings every few years and add soil to the bottom of the container as even the lightest of soils will settle over time.
Thanks for replying, I’ll take a look at everything you suggested.

Ask a Question