What to do with Leaves from winter in the garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bird feeders, and a heated birdbath. I shovel a path to feeders and birdbath because they need to be cared for, and it's easier than constantly tramping through the snow.
Usually, this does not seem to make a much of a difference. But, a while back, we had snow and very cold temperatures - like ten below zero (F) at night. Once the snow melted, the grass where I shoveled was noticeably more brown, brittle, and sparse, than the surrounding grass.
Just as a suggestion Walter, maybe during the summertime you could make a pathway through the lawn to the feeders. That might make it easier when winter returns :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon it is the close contact with the leaves from compacted, re-frozen water that does it. Looking at Tetter's suggestion I though 'Stepping stones', but they can get very slippery.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something I do. When the weather is warmer I do hold back feeding the birds, its their job to eat insects. I will heavy feed them in the winter months.
Not all birds eat insects. I would hold back on things like suet balls and mealworms, high calorie high protein stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Exactly, let them go hunting, but still feed the seed eaters that won't be doing great this time of year.
As I live out in the woods, there are lots of things for all birds to pick at on the ground and in the sky. There is this cute bird, forgot the breed, it sits on my clothes line and swoops down to catch insects falling from the trees. So in other words, the seeds stop in the summer over here. And behind me is 10 acres of protected lands, to the right of me is 20 acres of protected lands. A lovey moving creek runs on our back property line about 100 paces from our back door, birds have lots of stuff there to find. All is well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bet the grass grows back quickly when you have moved them :)

As for the leaves in the OP's garden I would say it doesn't really matter how you get them into the soil, they will still do some good when you do. Whether you mulch with them as they are, mulch with them partially composted, or dig them in they will end up as leaf mould in the soil; that means better consistency, moisture retention, and drainage. There is an experiment pouring excess water through various mediums, leaf mould will finish draining first, but hold on to more of the water than the others.
What leaf mould does not do is supply lots of nutrients, there are some, of course, but not lots.
Got me to thinking I have 20 Bags of Shredded Leaves. Was going to buy Peat Moss for my garden expansion.

Was going to use the Leaves for a mulch but I'm considering straw.

So use the Leaves for the expansion instead of Peat Moss.

Might have enough Leaves to do both.

big rockpile

Ask a Question