What the heck? Weird clusters of flowers on butternuts

Reaction score
Country
United States
My one butternut refuses to flower, like, at all. I’ve accepted it’s hopeless at this point.

Today I noticed these clusters of flowers sort of trying to start but … they look nothing like squash flowers.

Anyone know what might have happened here?

Attachments

• 3720D035-ADBD-4F9C-BB55-3978B5EB71DF.jpeg
    3720D035-ADBD-4F9C-BB55-3978B5EB71DF.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 15AFDD42-455A-4959-A3D1-80DD716347E4.jpeg
    15AFDD42-455A-4959-A3D1-80DD716347E4.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have an excess amount of nitrogen in the soil the plants will not bloom normally.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have an excess amount of nitrogen in the soil the plants will not bloom normally.
Interesting…the plant shares a bed with another in the same soil and has normal flowers (and 3 squash). I’ll retest my soil. Thanks for the reply, it’s been very confusing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I vaguely remember a thread (maybe 6 months ago) about a squash or cucumber doing the very same thing. I can't remember the exact verdict but I think maybe @Meadowlark or @Chuck or @DirtMechanic was in the thread also. I cant find the thread myself so maybe they have a better memory.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks folks! I searched before posting and couldn’t find anything. And if it’s a cucumber … the seed packet had a straggler/imposter. This would make more sense to me, it def doesn’t present like a butternut!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let it grow and see what kind of fruit it produces and post a picture.

This year out of one fresh packet of tomato seeds I got one plant that was a totally different variety so your not alone. Also out of another fresh packet of tomato seeds all of the plants were of the wrong variety.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let it grow and see what kind of fruit it produces and post a picture.

This year out of one fresh packet of tomato seeds I got one plant that was a totally different variety so your not alone. Also out of another fresh packet of tomato seeds all of the plants were of the wrong variety.
If anything ever fruits, I def will! The rate of how this plant produces vines is staggering…. Like, several feet a day. The flowers took 4 months!

It’s incredible to me that seed packets can be wrong - the butternuts were a sample of like 6 seeds. Ironically I managed to thin to the one that isn’t what I tried to plant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted Tomatoes supposed to be Beefsteak.

Afterwards very few Beefsteak. Cherry Tomatoes and Pear Tomatoes.

A Cucumber has similar seeds but smaller.

big rockpile

Ask a Question