What is wrong with my blueberries?!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
22BDC889-95A6-4FF7-916B-62F9E8D38D18.jpeg
92B9BF2E-4C28-462B-B597-90086C5BB732.jpeg

There were no issues last year and now they have spots and I was hoping they will be fine but I fear it is rust spots. I sprayed the bush with an item I got from the local nursery to help with bugs and stuff like that. Any help would be welcomed thank you!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anthracnose (Gloeosporium minus) is a fungal disease that usually begins after blooming and lasts until harvest. It will kill the plant and nothing can stop it at this point. You can use fungicides on the plant but it will not help. Sales people will always sell fungicides that don't work. Gloeosporium minus will live for many years in the form of spores and when conditions appear the fungus will return.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anthracnose (Gloeosporium minus) is a fungal disease that usually begins after blooming and lasts until harvest. It will kill the plant and nothing can stop it at this point. You can use fungicides on the plant but it will not help. Sales people will always sell fungicides that don't work. Gloeosporium minus will live for many years in the form of spores and when conditions appear the fungus will return.
So there is nothing I can do? Just watch it die? Are the fruit still safe to eat when ripe?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Control
  1. Prune out and remove old and infected tissues in order to reduce inoculum. Reduce relative humidity in the planting through proper plant spacing and pruning.
  2. Do not use excessive amounts of nitrogen during the spring in order to limit rapid succulent growth, which is more susceptible to infection.
  3. The use of resistant cultivars can help control anthracnose of blueberry. Brigitta Blue, Elliot, Hannah's Choice, Legacy, Little Giant, Morrow, Murphy, and Reveille have some resistance to anthracnose. Avoid highly susceptible cultivars like Berkeley, Bluecrop, Bluetta, Blueray, Bounty, Chanticleer, Coville, Harrison, Jersey, and Spartan. Use of cultivars with dry stem scars, such as Bluehaven, will help control postharvest Alternaria fruit rot. If Botrytis fruit rot is a problem in your area, avoid cultivars with tight clusters.
  4. Harvest berries often to prevent overripe fruit, and avoid handling berries when they are wet. Handle berries with care so as not to bruise or damage them.
  5. Prompt postharvest cooling is very important in preventing fruit rots.
  6. For the most current spray recommendations, commercial growers are referred to Bulletin 506B2, Midwest Commercial Small Fruit and Grape Spray Guide, and backyard growers are referred to Bulletin 780, Controlling Diseases and Insects in Home Fruit Plantings. These publications can be obtained from your local OSU Extension office or OSU Extension's online bookstore at estore.osu-extension.org

Reaction score
Country
United States
Control
  1. Prune out and remove old and infected tissues in order to reduce inoculum. Reduce relative humidity in the planting through proper plant spacing and pruning.
  2. Do not use excessive amounts of nitrogen during the spring in order to limit rapid succulent growth, which is more susceptible to infection.
  3. The use of resistant cultivars can help control anthracnose of blueberry. Brigitta Blue, Elliot, Hannah's Choice, Legacy, Little Giant, Morrow, Murphy, and Reveille have some resistance to anthracnose. Avoid highly susceptible cultivars like Berkeley, Bluecrop, Bluetta, Blueray, Bounty, Chanticleer, Coville, Harrison, Jersey, and Spartan. Use of cultivars with dry stem scars, such as Bluehaven, will help control postharvest Alternaria fruit rot. If Botrytis fruit rot is a problem in your area, avoid cultivars with tight clusters.
  4. Harvest berries often to prevent overripe fruit, and avoid handling berries when they are wet. Handle berries with care so as not to bruise or damage them.
  5. Prompt postharvest cooling is very important in preventing fruit rots.
  6. For the most current spray recommendations, commercial growers are referred to Bulletin 506B2, Midwest Commercial Small Fruit and Grape Spray Guide, and backyard growers are referred to Bulletin 780, Controlling Diseases and Insects in Home Fruit Plantings. These publications can be obtained from your local OSU Extension office or OSU Extension's online bookstore at estore.osu-extension.org
Thank you for the input! Hopefully can keep you posted with good news!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It very well could be anthracnose but lets not get carried away. It is also possible that it is leaf spot. I think I can see halos on those two browned leaves. I don't think it is rust. What I would do before anything else is cut a portion of the plant that has both berries and leaves and take it to the county extension agent for a sure diagnosis. If it is anthracnose you really should know that it is on your property.

Last edited:

Ask a Question