What is this on Pachypodium?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been noticing some little white-ish waxy strands around and among the new foliage on my Pachypodium lamereii. Not sure if this is a pest or if it's nothing to worry about. The plant has had a stressful year and a half since our move. I had to cut it back drastically to move it to our new house, and it hasn't gotten great light until recently. I gave it a repotting and it's now getting plenty of light, but I am seeing this stuff now, and want to verify what it is before doing anything else. I've attached a few pics. It was a little hard to get in for a good photo, so I plucked off the new growth to get in better (hence the bubbles of sap). Let me know what you think the other stuff is...

IMG_3035.jpeg

IMG_3033.jpeg
IMG_3034.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The "weeping" is guttation, which is a release or discharge of excess moisture when the plant has all it needs. The water exits through special pores called hydathodes. This is a normal process but does indicate that the plant does not need more water.

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I've been noticing some little white-ish waxy strands around and among the new foliage on my Pachypodium lamereii. Not sure if this is a pest or if it's nothing to worry about. The plant has had a stressful year and a half since our move. I had to cut it back drastically to move it to our new house, and it hasn't gotten great light until recently. I gave it a repotting and it's now getting plenty of light, but I am seeing this stuff now, and want to verify what it is before doing anything else. I've attached a few pics. It was a little hard to get in for a good photo, so I plucked off the new growth to get in better (hence the bubbles of sap). Let me know what you think the other stuff is...

View attachment 98298
View attachment 98296View attachment 98297
Hi its probably mealybugs i found this on https://qooplants.com/pachypodium/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm... Here are a few pics of what it's looking like today. The plant seems fine - the new leaves are coming in vigorously with no black tips, yellowing or curled edges... I do have some neem oil in the garage. I suppose I could spray it just to be safe?

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hmmm... Here are a few pics of what it's looking like today. The plant seems fine - the new leaves are coming in vigorously with no black tips, yellowing or curled edges... I do have some neem oil in the garage. I suppose I could spray it just to be safe?

I know nothing about that plant so maybe it's normal to have that white stuff that looks like a smurf was grating parmesan cheese on it? It looks really healthy but that white stuff.. what is it?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would buy a magnifying glass and take a close look if there is any movement in that parmesan. I still agree with the other folks that it's mealy bugs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haven't seen any smurfs around, but who knows? I've looked at it with the magnifying loupe and there isn't any movement in the parmesan. I'll see if I can find a higher powered magnifier and look again. :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Haven't seen any smurfs around, but who knows? I've looked at it with the magnifying loupe and there isn't any movement in the parmesan. I'll see if I can find a higher powered magnifier and look again. :)
Don't trust those little blue buggers, they might have some kind of mealy bug opium operation going on in that plant 🤣

This is probably my queue to call it a night lol. Don't mind me, I like to joke around sometimes lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuFlungPu

Latest Threads