What is making 1/4 inch holes in the ground

Reaction score
I have a new flower bed in front of my house that is fairly large. I planted flowers there and two weeks ago 1/4 inch holes appeared in the ground. They are all over the bed and are not human made. They are clean holes that look like someone aerated the soil. I also noticed my pansy flowers are being eaten. I haven't seen anything come out of the hole and it's too big to be ants. Anyone have any idea what it is? I live in Ontario, Canada and we've had quite a bit of rain lately but I'm mystified by what it could be?

Jed

Reaction score
Down in Australia there's a type of grub that makes holes in lawns.We call them corby grubs but there are a type of chafer grub that make holes in garden beds. Here's a link.
http://www.lovethegarden.com/pests-diseases/chafer-grubs

images

Reaction score
Yes that is what they look like, thank you! We do have grubs in our lawn and don't know why I hadn't thought of that. We don't usually see the holes in our grass. That means the skunks and raccoons will be digging in my flower bed soon.:mad: Much as I love wildlife they can make quite the mess out of the lawn, digging up the grass in little patches. I don't like using chemicals and now I'll have to think up a way to get rid of them.

Reaction score
I have some holes in my yard as well, but not so many in a small area, like in the picture. I think I have a small mole. But, wasps can make nests in the dirt as well. Snakes, too, I believe. I've never seen anything come out or go into them, so I just steer clear of them. If they don't bother me, I won't bother them (to death :)).

Jed

Reaction score
Yes that is what they look like, thank you! We do have grubs in our lawn and don't know why I hadn't thought of that. We don't usually see the holes in our grass. That means the skunks and raccoons will be digging in my flower bed soon.:mad: Much as I love wildlife they can make quite the mess out of the lawn, digging up the grass in little patches. I don't like using chemicals and now I'll have to think up a way to get rid of them.

I thinks some folk having this problem use a bucket of soapy water the biodegradable type. Try pouring some down the holes and see what happens.

Reaction score
I thinks some folk having this problem use a bucket of soapy water the biodegradable type. Try pouring some down the holes and see what happens.

Heh, just be sure to stand back and be prepared to run. If it's an isolated hole it could be a snake or wasp nest.

Reaction score
Heh, just be sure to stand back and be prepared to run. If it's an isolated hole it could be a snake or wasp nest.

There were quite a few holes and they've disappeared now. We've had so much rain in the last month that the ground is constantly wet and soft. The wasps are building up high. We had to knock a starter nest down before they completed it. Yes we did run!:eek:

Ask a Question