What is first

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Mid Missouri and looking forward to planting my first garden here. My soil is clay and rocky so I think I must do raised beds. First I had best get my beds filled with good dirt. Then what is the earliest veggie I can plant ? zone 6a

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lettuces (the leaf variety as opposed to the head type), broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes. onions, garlic can all go in the gardens in February and March.
May I suggest that you start a compost pile as soon as possible? The "good dirt" will need supplementing and there is nothing better than a few inches of compost mixed in.
Congratulations on your first garden, and let us know how it grows!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My zone is fairly close to yours and I don't plant anything outside until at least the end of march. The plants already mentioned like cold and can tolerate heavy frost but I would not recommend starting before your soil temps are up a bit. If you google "soil temperature " you'll quickly find a chart showing you when it's safe to start.

As soon as your ground is ready to work, you can start preparing your beds. I remembr one year, out ground had finally thawed and then alongcame a snowfall. So I shovelled the snow before working the soil :)

@Chuck ? You still got your soil temp chart?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Zone 6 suggested planting schedule for what its worth. We all get itchy and start seeds inside when we can. Grab enough Black Kow composted manure to make it 2 inches deep and till it in for a start.

zone-6.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks everyone,my garden compost has begun.Nothing like wanting to get ahead of the season as it is only 29 here right now and winter has just begun.lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuFlungPu

Latest Threads