What indoor plant is a natural fly and bug repellent?

Reaction score
Country
Norway
I am wondering about this, I know that the Geranium( or Pelargonium in reality) is used in many sprays , so it is probably a safe bet to use.
I wonder if that is why they were so popular in older days? Now Lavender is also used in many of these natural repellents, so that might be a nice plant to put in the window. But probably not with the Geranium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know, garlic repels aphids, flies and snails, but I've never tried to grow it, because I hate eating it.
Lemon balm is said to repel mosquitoes.

Reaction score
This is a difficult one as there really isn't one specific plant species that will effectively deter both flies and biting insects.

So with that in mind - Basil and Mint are said to be a good choice for repelling flies - but for biting insects and especially mosquitoes you really can't do any better than Catnip - as not only is thought to be 10 times more effective than Deet at keeping biting insects and mosquitoes at bay - but can be used in many ways too - as not only can you use Catnip plants decoratively - as in dotting them around the house or outdoor sitting areas - either in pots or hanging baskets or using the crushed leaves as fresh potpourri - but it also works really well as a body wipe repellant too - which is easily done by crushing the leaves and then applying them directly to your skin - the only down side is that - if you own a cat - you may find that your cat finds you irresistibly attractive :D

You can also make a concentrated spray - which can safely be sprayed onto skin and clothes or into the atmosphere :)

Reaction score
I am wondering about this, I know that the Geranium( or Pelargonium in reality) is used in many sprays , so it is probably a safe bet to use.
I wonder if that is why they were so popular in older days? Now Lavender is also used in many of these natural repellents, so that might be a nice plant to put in the window. But probably not with the Geranium.

I have heard that mint is good to repel spiders, but if you want something that works better you should then use mint oil... spiders and other critters don't like it one bit. Lemon balm is known for repelling mosquitoes :)

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Good points, now off to look for all these , and try to figure out what goes where. I am guessing my RV traveling party will have good use for both basil and mint, catnip might not be so smart .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would suggest having basil around to fend off bugs, it has worked for me in the past. There really isn't a ideal universal choice however, really depends on your environment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chrysanthemums contain pyrethrum, a natural insect replant. I've read they can be useful for mosquito control. I have doubts about that, so I might try this summer

Ask a Question