What do you do with your excess plants

Reaction score
Wow! It seems I have been missing out here. Maddie, I started some new plants after prun.ing a couple and not wanting to just throw out the branches. They successfully rooted and started making new leaves and I gave three of them away. I have several young lavender plants I started from seed, but I will probably keep most of those to help with natural pest control.
I do this all the time. I have a few lovely poinsettias and each time I prune it the branches go into grow bags and are gifted at Christmas time to my friends in a good looking container with a nice red and gold ribbon packaging. My friends love it. :) I wish I had a lavender plant , I so love lavender.. but what we have here does not flower at all :/

@Dziomek, I wish I had a good friend like that :D.. I would like some exotic plants :) I would mind volunteering at her place if she was my friend :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Zigs, wow, you definitely can't be bored there...but it seems very dangerous:(
Maddie, this exchange system sounds so lovely! Unfortunately I don't have anything like that in my area. When I have excess plants, I just give them to my friends:)

Reaction score
I'm not aware of an exchange system either, for my area. However, I don't believe in any "excess plants" because I can always find room for more plants. It's probably a good thing that there is no facility close to me that provides a place for excess plants, because I would spend a great deal of time there trying to find an affordable plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I do this all the time. I have a few lovely poinsettias and each time I prune it the branches go into grow bags and are gifted at Christmas time to my friends in a good looking container with a nice red and god ribbon packaging. My friends love it. :) I wish I had a lavender plant , I so love lavender.. but what we have here does not flower at all :/

Maddie, if I could I would send you some lavender :)

You've given me an idea; I rescued some poinsettia from the side of the road (yes! someone had set them at the curb!) a few weeks ago. The wind, rain and cold weather have beat them up to the point of barely having any leaves left, but if they bounce back I will definitely try my hand at propagating them.

:D and you thought it was a quiet little village:D

LOL, Zigs. It must be because you always make it seem as such.

Reaction score
Maddie, if I could I would send you some lavender :)
That would have been wonderful if I didn't live halfway across the globe. I love to swap plants and seeds.. that we we could all have what we want, without having to spend too much money.
Yesterday as I was taking my usual walk I found a badly battered ficus benjamina thrown on the curb. I brought it home with me and planted it in a container.. I hope it survives the ordeal.. I am hoping to gift it to my friend if it does. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That would have been wonderful if I didn't live halfway across the globe. I love to swap plants and seeds.. that we we could all have what we want, without having to spend too much money.
Yesterday as I was taking my usual walk I found a badly battered ficus benjamina thrown on the curb. I brought it home with me and planted it in a container.. I hope it survives the ordeal.. I am hoping to gift it to my friend if it does. :)

I could easily send you lavender seeds as long as there is no kind of restriction on it. The seeds I planted I obtained for free! It takes a while for lavender to mature and produce flowers so I won't be seeing any seeds from my plants any time soon, but if I happen across some more I'd be happy to send them. It wouldn't cost much more than sending a letter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, I always save abandoned plants too, it's just such a good feeling to help them. I also sometimes buy plants that nobody wants - they look so vulnerable, sad and lonely at the shop...I just feel sorry for them and I know they'll grow beautifully if I'll take care of them:)

Reaction score
I don't really have excess plants because I mostly grow herbs and ginger.
With herbs you usually end up eating them and whatever I don't eat, I dry out and use as a seasoning. If I ever had the wonderful problem of having too many herbs, I think they would make an adorable gift, either alive or dried in a jar.

Reaction score
Maddie, I always save abandoned plants too, it's just such a good feeling to help them. I also sometimes buy plants that nobody wants - they look so vulnerable, sad and lonely at the shop...I just feel sorry for them and I know they'll grow beautifully if I'll take care of them:)

I once rescued a nearly dead Pothos hanging plant from next to a Goodwill dumpster. It was lazy of them to abandon it there because Goodwill doesn't accept live plants and a dying plant like this would have been thrown away.
If you find an abandoned plant that at least has a few green leaves left, you can usually trim off all the dead leaves and nurse the green part back to health. I too have a soft spot for neglected plants that I find on the curb at trash day.

Reaction score
I try to find a spot for my extras. I add pots on my stairs and dig out grass or I give them to some one I know will plant them. I do everything I can think of to keep them alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Funny, but since this thread was started I have received more excess plants than I have had some to do something with. I divided my ginger (non-edible) recently and shared that, I have a bunch of lilies coming up from seeds that were in a pod I harvested from outside an empty house - just about all the seeds germinated and started growing without any assistance from me.

I have been planting them as they sprouted and have had an abundance of lily plants. I've shared those and today I brought home excess salvia plants from my mom. (Recently it was okra plants from my dad.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just joined a Facebook group of local gardeners that shares saved seeds and excess plants from thinning out the overgrowth and self seeders in their yards. My mom swapped an extra African daisy I had for a yellow one she had a few days ago. You just have to make friends with other gardeners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are community gardens around my place that you can donate plants you don't want and the volunteers plant them in the garden for others to enjoy. It is a really neat project and you never know what you are going to find there.

Ask a Question