Weeping Fig Dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help forum!

I bought an indoor weeping fig a while back, but it looks like it's losing a lot of leaves and dying. At first I maybe over watered it, but not for a while.

Can anyone please advise how I can save it?

Here's a photo:

IMG_20200128_194535.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well it looks like you've discovered the reaction of Ficus to being moved from a greenhouse to an indoor environment. Try to keep it just moist and give it the most light you can. Make sure that it doesn't sit in water between waterings. In a few weeks you should see some new growth along the bare branches. You haven't killed it yet, just be patient.
Happy plant parenting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As stated above, Ficus don’t like their environment to change. Another thing they don’t like is to be cold. Have you checked the temperature in front of that door? Are there cold drafts coming in? I have 15 Ficus and we do battle every winter when I bring them in the house.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All indoor ficus have leaf drop in the Winter due to low light conditions. The reason is that the plant will only support enough leaves from the amount of light it collects. More light more leaves, less light less leaves. It natural and nothing to worry about, however one thing to keep in mind with ficus, is when the lighting is dimmer the plant uses less water. If you keep giving the same amount of water in low light conditions you can hurt the roots. Be patient because when the stronger lighting returns the ficus will regrow new leaves.

Last edited:

Ask a Question