Water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reading Chemicals kill Microbs.City Water has Chemicals to kill.

Rain Water this time of year is hard to collect. I'm thinking get the Black Half Barrels and fill with water to help keep the Greenhouse warm.

Let this water set for the Chemicals to evaporate and use it. I can use this to water.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
City water only has 3-4 ppm of free chlorine. Not nearly enough to claim it is killing the soil. You can let it sit in direct sunlight to break down the free chlorine if you wish. I water with city water all of the time. A worser side effect than the chlorine is the carbonates and higher pH it brings with it, at least here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know where your city water comes from, if it is from an underground supply it might have a lot of something like calcium in it. Leaving it to sit will get rid of the chlorine, see how it goes green if you leave it a while.
Plenty of rain water in England this time of year, it's been washing people's cars away and causing floods lately.

Reaction score
Country
United States
City water only has 3-4 ppm of free chlorine. Not nearly enough to claim it is killing the soil. You can let it sit in direct sunlight to break down the free chlorine if you wish. I water with city water all of the time. A worser side effect than the chlorine is the carbonates and higher pH it brings with it, at least here.
Yes that is one problem with City Water PH is about 8.

During the Summer I'm using 3,000+ gallons of water a month. Then the Water Company calls wanting to know why we are using so much water? LOL it's Summer we water stuff.

I know I read too much. Some say Chlorine will kill and some say it is good.

Then you have the ones saying you must let the water warm. Really this is the one I have a problem with.

Right now I'm thinking of Microbs either way my Microbs should be ok?

I understand any Chemical will kill Microbs like Herbicides and Synthetic Fertilizer but the water should be ok right?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants need some chlorine as I understand. I've been using hard chlorinated city water for 10 years or longer, supplemental to it raining. Been very dry this year here so I've used city water alot this year. Mine is a 7.2 pH but my total alkalinity is pretty high which is from the carbonates in the water. In order to try to balance it out I inject vinegar in my irrigation system and in Spring time I will test the soils pH and then throw out some sulfur to try to further balance it out if needed.

Ask a Question