Vegetables from seed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This is a controversal matter IMO. Much related to your individual requirements. Here in the UK perhaps the average cost of a packet of veg seeds is around £2. Seed quantity can be in the high hundreds per packet. Now if you have an allotment etc, and you intend to sow directly into the ground. This can be a very cheap method. Seeds sown thus, will produce strong seedlings and plants. When large enough, the seedlings will need thinning out. Time and effort. Purchasing plants. Whether veg or garden plants. Here the hard part of production has been done for you. So that polystyrene pack of six cabbage plants or whatever. In the case of you trying to get an early start. So you get your seed. Make room in the greenhouse. Now start counting the cost. Seed/cell trays. Compost. Actual ongoing time spent, watering, pricking out, perhaps potting on.........................Yes for many of us. Sowing a seed and doing all the follow-up can be an experience, even fun. At the end of the day. The choice is ours. Your's and mine.
Avoidance of soil borne (and in the case of onion sets root borne) disease is the best advantage to starting with seeds.
I usually grow cordon tomatoes, apart from the Maskotka cherry toms (got their first tiny flower buds that you can only just see, this morning), but this year I'm trying some Super Roma tomatoes, for processing in a number of ways, & they are semi=determinate.
With standard slicers, my aim isn't just high yields, but the number 1 priority is to start the season as early as possible (without throwing money away with lots of heating) and finishing as late as possible, as supermarket tomatoes here are truly awful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So, all my seeds are started...I have green onion, rainbow carrots, rainbow beets, oregano, basil, sage, parsley,spinach,brussel sprouts, beans, mixed color bell peppers, sweet long peppers, hot banana peppers, tomatillos, rainbow heirloom tomatoes, jamestown tomatos , and I will get a few cucumber and zucchini plants...I'm excited :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Avoidance of soil borne (and in the case of onion sets root borne) disease is the best advantage to starting with seeds.
I usually grow cordon tomatoes, apart from the Maskotka cherry toms (got their first tiny flower buds that you can only just see, this morning), but this year I'm trying some Super Roma tomatoes, for processing in a number of ways, & they are semi=determinate.
With standard slicers, my aim isn't just high yields, but the number 1 priority is to start the season as early as possible (without throwing money away with lots of heating) and finishing as late as possible, as supermarket tomatoes here are truly awful.
once you have a garden fresh tomato, it's nearly impossible to enjoy one from the supermarket! I usually go for roma in the grocery store because they seem to taste fairly decent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@Cindi did you start the carrot seeds in pots to transplant out? The tap roots are not fans of this and it can create some very weird shapes.

I start my carrot seeds in rows in the bed and place either a board or a cloth strip over them to keep them moist until they germinate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Cindi did you start the carrot seeds in pots to transplant out? The tap roots are not fans of this and it can create some very weird shapes.

I start my carrot seeds in rows in the bed and place either a board or a cloth strip over them to keep them moist until they germinate.
Yes. I did start them in pots to transplant, but I have a ton of seeds, so I will do more seeds in the bed as you suggested. Thanks for the tip

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting seeds)
Posted on May 16, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/May 2020/16 May 2020 Board Method/HTML/ 16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting Seeds)
Carrot seeds are small and often difficult to germinate. My solution is to prepare a row of soil and sprinkle the seeds, then cover the row with a raised board.Th seeds are kept damp by water can poured on top of the board.Enough water seeps around to keep the seeds damp. Germination is assured. The board also prevents the seeds from hot Sun and drying out.Carrot seeds will not germinate if they get above 80F (27C).I use the method on other small seeds also to protect from birds when small.
dsc_4124_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
For the last several years I like to get an earlier start. By the time most local places have plants, I'm already transplanting or have plants in ground. Additionally, the limited offerings at most local seed places...and how late they come in, has made me look online more to source seeds. I do still buy some stuff like succulents and a handful of plants at nurseries. But even on the plant side, I knock off all the soil I can from the roots and re-start with my own. Often, with the few plants I buy, I trim most of the tops as well. Most store-bought plants have all manner of things in them I don't want on property. Seeds just seem safer all the way around. I can't totally seal off from potential threats but I can moderate as much as possible.

That said, I've had one heck of a time with carrots, parsnips, salsify, turnips, and beets. I'm still developing soil at this location so it could be the surface dries too quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting seeds)
Posted on May 16, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/May 2020/16 May 2020 Board Method/HTML/ 16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting Seeds)
Carrot seeds are small and often difficult to germinate. My solution is to prepare a row of soil and sprinkle the seeds, then cover the row with a raised board.Th seeds are kept damp by water can poured on top of the board.Enough water seeps around to keep the seeds damp. Germination is assured. The board also prevents the seeds from hot Sun and drying out.Carrot seeds will not germinate if they get above 80F (27C).I use the method on other small seeds also to protect from birds when small.
dsc_4124_std.jpg
This is a great idea. Thank you. I will try this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For the last several years I like to get an earlier start. By the time most local places have plants, I'm already transplanting or have plants in ground. Additionally, the limited offerings at most local seed places...and how late they come in, has made me look online more to source seeds. I do still buy some stuff like succulents and a handful of plants at nurseries. But even on the plant side, I knock off all the soil I can from the roots and re-start with my own. Often, with the few plants I buy, I trim most of the tops as well. Most store-bought plants have all manner of things in them I don't want on property. Seeds just seem safer all the way around. I can't totally seal off from potential threats but I can moderate as much as possible.

That said, I've had one heck of a time with carrots, parsnips, salsify, turnips, and beets. I'm still developing soil at this location so it could be the surface dries too quickly.
from the sound of the majority of comments, seeds are the way to go. I'm looking forward to a bumper crop and I think this will be rewarding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Germination can become an issue with planting seeds outdoors. In a relatively small garden it is prudent to plant strong seedlings. IMO.

A very small area can produce more than enough in my case. Sometimes seed planting can be patchy. In a large garden seeds become mandatory. But small backyard area seedling are more efficient IMO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Germination can become an issue with planting seeds outdoors. In a relatively small garden it is prudent to plant strong seedlings. IMO.

A very small area can produce more than enough in my case. Sometimes seed planting can be patchy. In a large garden seeds become mandatory. But small backyard area seedling are more efficient IMO.

For seeds that I'm going to direct sow, I have taken a strip of single ply toilet paper, folded it in half used a dot of Elmer's glue to place seed in and dots of glue in between seeds, folded over again and have a strip of seeds ready to plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Paper strips have problems. Any wind, planting becomes a horror, placing the strip in the row. I eventually abandoned the method. I prefer planting each seed individually. It is time consuming and takes a bit of effort. Thinning small growth also take effort and is not too effective. A good pair of knee pads are a great addition. I prefer the board method of planting.

Ask a Question