vegetables from seed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting seeds)
Posted on May 16, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/May 2020/16 May 2020 Board Method/HTML/ 16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting Seeds)
Carrot seeds are small and often difficult to germinate. My solution is to prepare a row of soil and sprinkle the seeds, then cover the row with a raised board.Th seeds are kept damp by water can poured on top of the board.Enough water seeps around to keep the seeds damp. Germination is assured. The board also prevents the seeds from hot Sun and drying out.Carrot seeds will not germinate if they get above 80F (27C).I use the method on other small seeds also to protect from birds when small.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
For the last several years I like to get an earlier start. By the time most local places have plants, I'm already transplanting or have plants in ground. Additionally, the limited offerings at most local seed places...and how late they come in, has made me look online more to source seeds. I do still buy some stuff like succulents and a handful of plants at nurseries. But even on the plant side, I knock off all the soil I can from the roots and re-start with my own. Often, with the few plants I buy, I trim most of the tops as well. Most store-bought plants have all manner of things in them I don't want on property. Seeds just seem safer all the way around. I can't totally seal off from potential threats but I can moderate as much as possible.

That said, I've had one heck of a time with carrots, parsnips, salsify, turnips, and beets. I'm still developing soil at this location so it could be the surface dries too quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting seeds)
Posted on May 16, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/May 2020/16 May 2020 Board Method/HTML/ 16 May 2020 Board Method (Planting Seeds)
Carrot seeds are small and often difficult to germinate. My solution is to prepare a row of soil and sprinkle the seeds, then cover the row with a raised board.Th seeds are kept damp by water can poured on top of the board.Enough water seeps around to keep the seeds damp. Germination is assured. The board also prevents the seeds from hot Sun and drying out.Carrot seeds will not germinate if they get above 80F (27C).I use the method on other small seeds also to protect from birds when small.
This is a great idea. Thank you. I will try this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For the last several years I like to get an earlier start. By the time most local places have plants, I'm already transplanting or have plants in ground. Additionally, the limited offerings at most local seed places...and how late they come in, has made me look online more to source seeds. I do still buy some stuff like succulents and a handful of plants at nurseries. But even on the plant side, I knock off all the soil I can from the roots and re-start with my own. Often, with the few plants I buy, I trim most of the tops as well. Most store-bought plants have all manner of things in them I don't want on property. Seeds just seem safer all the way around. I can't totally seal off from potential threats but I can moderate as much as possible.

That said, I've had one heck of a time with carrots, parsnips, salsify, turnips, and beets. I'm still developing soil at this location so it could be the surface dries too quickly.
from the sound of the majority of comments, seeds are the way to go. I'm looking forward to a bumper crop and I think this will be rewarding.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Germination can become an issue with planting seeds outdoors. In a relatively small garden it is prudent to plant strong seedlings. IMO.

A very small area can produce more than enough in my case. Sometimes seed planting can be patchy. In a large garden seeds become mandatory. But small backyard area seedling are more efficient IMO.

Ask a Question